Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Letterhide -- succession fort  (Read 3668 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Letterhide -- succession fort
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »

Many forts have tragically ended before even their first year is complete. I believe that the urge to seek adventure in harsh and troublesome biomes is to blame. The players discover much to their dismay that the game kills them off before their turn is over. And so ends yet another succession game.

This game begins nestled between two dwarven civilizations, expanding the dwarven empire to encompass more of the region. It's not overly hostile or evil, so that the game may progress into adulthood.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

The Imperial Picks send forth an expansion team to take hold of new land. On the mountains edge, there is a tropical swamp and a tropical jungle, both growing over an abundance of dolomite, known for it's rich iron deposits. Further, the surface of the swamp is sand, holding the possibility of a future glass industry.

It's hot, but not scorching, so the brook may provide water to plant crops and for fishing.

So with a song in their heart, the Oaken Lancers set forth to create the Outpost of Letterhide.

Spoiler: Overview Map (click to show/hide)

It seems the reports of a brook were false; all that remains is a series of freshwater ponds in the Certain Mire swamp to the north. We'll have to make due, and plan accordingly.

So our band of merry dwarves set to work. The mission is to dig in and start a plantation, and to that effect, we've taken four miners, two farmers and a woodworker:

Spoiler: Lorelai the Leader (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Uzol the Miner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tirist the Miner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Libash the Miner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rovod the Farmer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kogan the Farmer (click to show/hide)

Turn List
250 - AngleWyrm save file
251 - MrNuke       save file
252 - filiusenox    save file
253 - Dr. Ninja     skipped
254 - MrNuke       skipped
255 - AngleWyrm save file
256 - filiusenox
257 -

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:33:58 pm by AngleWyrm »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Letterhide -- succession fort
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »

Early Spring of 250 in Outpost Letterhide

An early scouting of the area revealed no animals of yet, so the types of creatures we'll face remains a mystery for the time being.

The mountain beckons, with a lovely entranceway practically built for us. So we've begun mining the main corridor, while the farmers gather plants and the woodworker begins his tree cutting mission.

I've set up temporary food storage next to the wagon, so the food won't rot, and the dogs can protect it from would-be filchers.

Mountain goats have been seen on the hillside; this bodes well, as it is likely we have nothing to fear from the swamps. I had worried that we might bump into an alligator early on, but the sight of these wonderful garbage eaters relieves my tension.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:21:59 pm by AngleWyrm »

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:31:00 pm »

Since all the other successions are taking forever to get too my turn, I shall take second spot if you don't mind.  8)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »

I hear ya. I've been wanting to play on a couple of them for some time now. Ok, you're added to the turn list.

Mid Spring, and the miners have made much progress. The main entrance hall empties into the Grand Hall, where there be parties and feasts galore (soon). Next to the grand hall is the Larder, storing all manner of dilectibles.

Several stairs in the larder lead to underground winery where the booze is made, kept, and usually consumed. A long trek north leads to the farm plots and initial crop storage, where farmers convert their crops to various foodstuffs. It later gets transported to the main larder as space becomes available. Currently, the farm is being irrigated for the coming crops.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:06:17 pm by AngleWyrm »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:28:05 pm »

Ill take a turn if it doesn't have any mods.
Please pm me when it is my turn.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:32 pm »

The only mod it's got is that I re-enabled the Dungeon Master, so our fort has one. Other than that it's vanilla.

Late Spring of 250 at Outpost Letterhide

Elephants! And lots of them. The possibilities are great, but our means are limited at the moment. Though we might not catch this herd, it is clear that elephants roam the region.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:08:09 pm by AngleWyrm »

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:41 pm »

I am scared about the fact that the main entrance leads directly into the main hall. I mean, once goblins come, they only have to walk 3 meters to get there!
 :-\
We should do something about that...
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:56 pm »

Your right....
That is way too far for them to walk, why not show them the courtesey of putting the meeting hall outside so they don't have to walk all that way.
 ;D
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dr.Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »

I'll take 253 if that's okay.
Huskmancepire

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »

Mid Summer

Current state of the entrance:

The main entrance hall is long enough to support several rows of weapon traps, and many cages. Near the bottom right is the military wing, where war animals can be trained, captured animals are stored, and a Pit-O-Doom to drop the trouble-makers into. There's also barracks for the soon-to-be military (three guys without geer so far), and a danger room. On the ToDo list is also an archery range.

Migrants arrived, we got six, taking our population to 13. They were mostly poor skilled peasants, who were recruited into the mason/engraving endeavors, with the males joining the service as our first recruits.

Dr.Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »

Is it a problem that I don't use a tileset or anything?
Huskmancepire

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06:15 pm »

Shouldn't matter. Use what you like; I just like the Phobeus tileset.

Just got the Autumn migrant wave, eight more dwarves including a Miner-13, and three dwarves that meet the rigorous requirements list for military service ("You got a d!@#?"), bringing our fighting force to six. I've named the military dwarves with short one-syllable names and put the squad number in front. That way it's easy to see when messages start flying about so-and-so just changed jobs. They're also alphabetical, just 'cause.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:27:55 pm by AngleWyrm »

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »

I'll take 254 if that's all right.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:50 am »

Autumn caravan arrived, and one of the farmers got into a posessed mood while they were unloading. Moment's later he demanded leather for his great artifact. So we bought a leather bin from the caravan, plus beefed up our log collection, and got a steel bar to boot.

I've ordered everything I could think of that might be useful next year, so expect a big caravan next year.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:48 am »

The Winter of the first year passed in a flurry of activity. We were able to get several smelters rolling on smelting the abundant lignite and hematite, and bake off coke for more production.

The first floor still has a bunch of temporary workshops on the right, which could be eliminated, and there is a 1-tile garbage pile in the doorway leading to the temporary shops.

The save file is in the First Post, listed in the turn roster at the end of the post.

NOTE: A mod made it into the game by accident; I had re-enabled the use of Dungeon Master, so the fort has a Dungeon Master named Dark Mistress.

MrNuke, you're up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:59:15 pm by AngleWyrm »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5