Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Artifact That Never Was...  (Read 2245 times)

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
The Artifact That Never Was...
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »

So early on in my fort, Thol (The Deep), my Blacksmith had a strange mood. I can't remember if it was a possession or a fey mood, but I didn't have the bars fast enough for him. He went berserk right before I got them and I had to use a ramshackle squad to quickly take him down. To honor him, I had a coffin as well as a memorial slab made for him.

There's just something strange here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the artifact list for my fort. That's his memorial slab. The only problem is that the artifact he "created" was never actually created. It seems like the names of artifacts are made before the artifact type is even finalized.

My guess is he was screaming the name while he attacked that dog. Thoughts?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: The Artifact That Never Was...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »

They get credited as creating an artifact even if they die while making it. Not unusual.

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:16:26 pm »

Haha, well just unusual for me then x)
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

V12US

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:11 am »

Friend of sea monsters.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:53:12 am »

"He has a broad body made broader still by no shortage of surrounding lard."

Haven't seen that one before.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:39:34 am »

"He has a broad body made broader still by no shortage of surrounding lard."

Haven't seen that one before.

You need to feed them better
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:05:44 am »

ALL of my lil dudes seem to have lard, hanging pouches, or other fat stuffs. even the military hardcases... hopefully lots of fat helps prevent wounds.
This is a blank sig.

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »

I've heard that careful application of heat can (literally) melt the fat right off of your Dwarves, but not kill them :P I have no clue how to do this though

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51:28 am »

I've seen that working near magma, like a magma forge, can remove both fat and skin, due to generic fat and skin set melting point being lower then the rest of the dwarf.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:53:02 am »

Does a lack of skin make it easier to get infections?
Oh man, now I'm having so many skinless-related questions.
Could I have a militia made up of skinless dorfs?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:00:42 am »

Does a lack of skin make it easier to get infections?
Oh man, now I'm having so many skinless-related questions.
Could I have a militia made up of skinless dorfs?

Possibly. People have reported cases of dwarves suffering from diseases that rotted of entire tissue layers, but the dwarf managed to survive. I believe one guy said his dwarves were immune to pain after losing their flesh.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:17:17 am »

Which brings up a related question: Just how much of their body can a dwarf lose before actually dying?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:06 am »

I don't like where this thread is going... It's only a while before the !!Science!! begins.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »

An obese friend of sea monsters... are you sure he wasn't just eating them?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

Which brings up a related question: Just how much of their body can a dwarf lose before actually dying?
For starters, we know the loss of a tooth is absolutely anecdotical, and those of the ear and nose can only prove to be dangerous if infected (we'll suppose for now we are dealing with competent doctors with a lot of soap, therefore forgetting the problem of germs; we know that a single infected tiny scar can send absolutely any dwarf back to Armok's side). Also seeing how many cases of eyerot the player base has experienced, we'll include these organs in the list. Need more input on the case of cheeks; I'm nonetheless inclined to believe they can be cleanly ripped off.
We are also very aware dwarfs can and will often survive if their only wound is a neatly chopped off limb, to the point they only occasionally require to rest afterwards. Chopping off one's limb one at a time seems to be the best way to go, while giving them some time to recover from the blood loss between each amputation. Maybe it would also be safer to amputate hands and feet first, and only then the arms and legs, though it would only be necessary if a chopped off arm/leg causes a more important hemorrhage than a chopped off hand/foot (to be verified?). So, as long as these amputations aren't simultaneously done, and separated by enough time for the dwarf to leave their faint/pale status, we can also add legs and arms to the list.
We are also aware that some organs, such as the spleen and liver(!!!), don't actually do anything. Again, they can be removed as long as one is careful about infections and blood loss. Lungs, however, are as far as we know, necessary for that pesky thing known as "breathing". I'll need some input to know if a single lung can successfully be removed without putting one's health in jeopardy. The heart, similarly, being heavily linked to blood, and therefore Armok, it is an essential organ that cannot be removed. I need more input on the case of the stomach before deciding anything, same goes for guts. I won't mention brains.
Having all witnessed axes/swords slicing through lower bodies like hot butter and causing them to fly away in arcs, causing their owner a certain death, we're mostly certain it absolutely cannot be removed either.
Lastly, many of us heard about the strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Benjamin Button  the soldier who became an absolute monster because a FB disease rotted his skin and sensory nerves away, and he met a competent surgeon (I told you they existed!) who managed to remove all the skin in time. He went back to duty and became immune to pain. Therefore, we can suppose that in the right circumstances, a dwarf can also live without their skin (and possibly sensory nerves too).

Now, I have no idea how much damage a dwarf can stand at once before dying. But I'm pretty sure that if one took the time to remove everything I listed and was very lucky about infections, the most infortunate dorf in the world would survive. Also, if someone can give me more information on anything I listed, anything I didn't list, or just plain prove me wrong, they're welcome.

tl;dr:
the list of unneeded meat in a dwarf's body:
-legs
-arms
-teeth
-ears
-eyes
-nose
-spleen
-liver
-skin
-sensory nerves

list of things that are important, really:
-brain
-heart
-lung(s?)
-lower body

uncertain:
-stomach
-guts
-cheeks
-motor nerves
-beard
-one lung?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: [1] 2