Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OH GOD ATTACK GATORS  (Read 1760 times)

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
OH GOD ATTACK GATORS
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »

okay so, on the first seige the goblins decimated my military sending my fort into a tantrum spiral during which only 3 of the dwarves that were occupying the fort before the tantrum spiral started survived. i decided to seal off my fort since my population (after migrants) was only 30. now the only way into my fort is by air or sea (a river) well, the goblins were a little smarter than i thought, see, they trained about 50 gators... and rode them into battle... my fort was just overrun by an army of gator riding goblins
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OH GOD ATTACK GATORS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:19:46 pm »

Now that sounds like fun :)!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »

Too bad the AI isn't smart enough to know that goblins can't breathe in water and so to avoid it if they are riding swimming mounts.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:09:09 pm »

Yeah, sometimes it seems the game takes previous battles and prepares the next siege while taking what happened into account. My fort is defended by a large gatehouse with the front wall all fortifications, so I can post 20 marksdwarves to pelt incoming forces with bolt upon bolt of true dwarven welcome.

The first siege caught about 200 of these bolts to the face.

So the second featured two squads of goblin bowmen and a goblin elite bowman, who can apparently accurately shoot through fortfications, thus killing one of the sentries and mortally wounding another before he was taken down.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:42:35 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »

Yeah, sometimes it seems the game takes previous battles and prepares the next siege while taking what happened into account. My fort is defended by a large gatehouse with the front wall all fortifications, so I can post 20 marksdwarves to pelt incoming forces with bolt upon bolt of true dwarven welcome.

So the second featured two squads of goblin bowmen and a goblin elite bowman, who can apparently accurately shoot through fortfications, thus killing one of the sentries and mortally wounding another before he was taken down.

Strange this. I too have noticed that the forces of my foes seem to adapt to account for my defences. So far, only the Pathway Of Fuck You (the letters are each a different kind of trap, winding back and forth) is an unbreakable defence.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:26:20 pm »

i prefer not to use traps, as i find they ruin the game, its only really challenging if you have to devote half your dwarves to military

and your in an area with a double aquifer

and your in an area with no trees

and the area is haunted
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:35:30 pm »

okay so, on the first seige the goblins decimated my military sending my fort into a tantrum spiral during which only 3 of the dwarves that were occupying the fort before the tantrum spiral started survived. i decided to seal off my fort since my population (after migrants) was only 30. now the only way into my fort is by air or sea (a river) well, the goblins were a little smarter than i thought, see, they trained about 50 gators... and rode them into battle... my fort was just overrun by an army of gator riding goblins

I love this game... So very much!

Sivere

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly Unhinged
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 05:50:43 am »

My defence plan relies on two legendary dwarves equipped with cotton candy armour and weapons in a long, winding hallway that serves as the main entrance to my fort, without any traps. So far I haven't been a victim of a massive, fuck-off siege or mounts, and it's working quite well.

I usually build the entrance to the fort the same way on every map:
surface fortress, with a winding hallway and a drawbridge before the trade depot, some more winding hallways, barracks, door, and behind the door a stairway or a ramp down. So I just tell my dwarves to go outside, and they grind to dust everything in their way.

The largest siege I've defeated was about 90 goblins, and my brave defenders got about 30 kills each, some trolls included. The rest fled.

I haven't seen any new tactics yet, but then again, I'd like to see how the goblins would adapt to THAT.

By the way, can goblins get flying mounts without modding the game? Because an air assault of 30 Giant Bat Riders would be a fun sight to behold  ;D
Dwarfs will have access to the internet in version .99.99, when even Toady cannot push the game further. They will then discover the Bay12 Games website, creating an infinitely recursive chain of realities that will eventually reach critical mass and coalesce into DF 1.0, emerging from their web-based cocoon like some kind of meme-encrusted chrysalis.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:09:19 am »

Yes, Sivere, goblins have been witnessed riding Giant Bats and Giant Cave Swallows into battle. This is why every construction of mine that is meant to house dwarves for an extended period of time or lead to the inside of my fortress is sealed from the sky and only has one entrance on the ground.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:13:45 am »

Yes flying mount riding goblins are in the game.  But any time they show up for me they're bugged and just hang around in the air not doing a whole lot.

Back to OP:  Wow... That makes me really glad my obsessive compulsive nature forced me to put grates over my watersource...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:27:14 am »

Strange this. I too have noticed that the forces of my foes seem to adapt to account for my defences. So far, only the Pathway Of Fuck You (the letters are each a different kind of trap, winding back and forth) is an unbreakable defence.

I MUST see an image of this trap!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!