Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The possible reason for self referencing artifacts?  (Read 1300 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The possible reason for self referencing artifacts?
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:33:31 am »

The dwarf is possesed, blah
He makes his artifact.
Then the game goes over the list of Historial stuffs, and it sees the artifact just created (Perhaps artifacts in the for have a better chance of being picked?) And it's all like, it'd be cool if it were on the artifacts, so thus, self reference artifact

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The possible reason for self referencing artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:45:55 am »

Seems plausible. Probably already been spaded though.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:24 am »

Hmm... if your hypothesis is true, then engravers who make a masterful engraving would have a chance of having their subject matter being the creation on the very engraving that was being engraved! Which means the dwarf is somehow engraving a picture of himself engraving a picture of himself engraving a picture of himself engraving a picturiuaufdakjsfhkadfaf

ElthMysterius cancels write post: Too Insane
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:30:38 am »

Self-referential artifacts occur because its decorations are defined at the same time as the object is completed, so the artifact is part of the fort's history at the time of decoration. Images of the artifact are drawn onto it like any other piece of history.

Which is what you said, I'm pretty sure. Not entirely sure.

V12US

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:42:31 am »

I don't see why artifacts shouldn't be able to reference themselves?

It's pretty obvious. Some dude creates a stone table, and then scratches "This table rocks!" on the side.

BAM, instant self-reference.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:34:09 am »

Also, well, imagine that on, say, the Venus of Milo, someone decided to engrave somewhere a smaller picture of the Venus the Milo.
Doesn't have to hold all the same exact details as the bigger, original version, because it is a reference. The smaller Venus engraved on the original one could easily be recognized as (generally) the same as the bigger one, because it shows the same important characteristics: it's the same pretty woman with the same short hair, the same pose, and the same puzzling lack of arms. Additional engravings on it would be negligible details.
Or said references could be partial. For example, I could decide to get a tattoo of my own face on my body. Pointlessness and narcissism aside, few people would argue me saying "I got a tattoo of myself", even though only part of my body would be shown.

Long story short, when I get an artifact shield with menacing spikes of stuff, bands of random crap, and a picture of itself on it, I imagine said reference as being the picture of a similarly-shaped shield with menacing spikes of stuff, bands of random crap, and maybe if it is big enough for that, some small squiggle to symbolize the presence of the picture.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:41 am »

imagine that on, say, the Venus of Milo, someone decided to engrave somewhere a smaller picture of the Venus the Milo
because it shows the same important characteristics
it's the same pretty woman with the same short hair, the same pose, and the same puzzling lack of arms.

Ugh, it DID have arms when it was created, so it's not a good example.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:43:10 am »

imagine that on, say, the Venus of Milo, someone decided to engrave somewhere a smaller picture of the Venus the Milo
because it shows the same important characteristics
it's the same pretty woman with the same short hair, the same pose, and the same puzzling lack of arms.

Ugh, it DID have arms when it was created, so it's not a good example.
You're right, that was a pretty bad example, but it was the first that came into mind. Switch "Venus of Milo" with, say, the Statue of Liberty. That is unique enough to fit the example.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:47:30 am »

It has arms too :).
But I prefer self referencing artifacts to those which reference something stupid like cheese or roaches :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58:14 am »

It has arms too :).
But I prefer self referencing artifacts to those which reference something stupid like cheese or roaches :D.
... and replace "lack of arms" by "funky crown, a book and a torch", and whatever else...  :P
But yeah. Better than roaches. Unless they're surrounding a random dwarf who appears to be terrified, at least it becomes slightly funny again. Or hidden moons, I'm not sure how exactly they are supposed to look like. Got no self-referencing artifacts yet tho.  :-\

EDIT: I should have shut my big trap. A guy just made an artifact splint with a picture of a dwarf being terrified of lizards on it. Also, there are extra squares. :/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:11:36 am by Musashi »

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:49:56 am »

The statue of liberty is made of copper, menaces with spikes of copper. releates to the founding of the light of freedom and has a !!beacon!! of copper. On the statue is an inscryption inviting more migrants to come to the light of freedom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:15 am »

The statue of liberty is made of copper, menaces with spikes of copper. releates to the founding of the light of freedom and has a !!beacon!! of copper. On the statue is an inscryption inviting more migrants to come to the light of freedom.
"About time you showed up."
"Iron and copper. The statue is copper on iron frame, right?"
"Password's enough, pal. Don't think you know something about the Lady I don't. My dad did tours out here."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.