Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cool military title  (Read 1020 times)

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cool military title
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:43:47 pm »

I noticed that my militia commander had a longer name than normal and after a moment of confusion realized that he must have attained a title (probably using the wrong term, please correct me). Looking through the units list to find him more easily, I notice another one of my military dwarves had a title as well.

Milita Commander: "Sazir Wheelrace the Virtuous Reign of Citadels"
Axe Lord: "Iton Ringbaldness the Rough Shadow of Rippers"

Two very different yet somewhat awesome titles. Anyone else have cool titles like this to share?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool military title
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:48:39 pm »

I've got the Ignited Cobra of Unions and The Fall of Bars in my most recent fortress.  The latter also carries a copper war hammer which she's named "The Combined Persuasive Strangeness," and, given that she's killed a forgotten beast, more than a dozen goblins, and a Giantess with it, I get the feeling she wins arguments as soon as she brings it out.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:11:04 am »

The latter also carries a copper war hammer which she's named "The Combined Persuasive Strangeness," and, given that she's killed a forgotten beast, more than a dozen goblins, and a Giantess with it, I get the feeling she wins arguments as soon as she brings it out.

That has to be one of the best weapon names ever.

Another siege came and went giving me a few new titles, of which "the Safety of Speaking" stands out to me. It's like "Look, we can talk this over, and nobody gets hurt, or we can hack all your limbs off one by one, what do you think?"
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:21:40 am »

Someone named "the Dour Hardiness of Roughness". Made even more special by the fact she was bedridden at the time; I released some goblins and a troll in the hospital to "euthanize" the crippled patients. Didn't work, because I had activated the squad she was enrolled in to kill them afterwards... and she magically found the strength to get up, defend the weak, and earn her title. (She died shortly after because she never went back to her bed, nobody judged useful to drag her back there, and she was very thirsty.)
Another is "the Tragedy of Urges". Basically, his urge to beat the shit out of goblins cost him one hand early on, but that didn't stop him from being your average badass expedition leader (before his own son became mayor!) and militia captain. Then he lost the use of the second arm, and after struggling for a while to learn to forget ever grasping anything again, he started killing stuff again by kicking and biting them. Was very recently involved in another tragedy: a young berserk orphan who he "neutralized" with a swift kick to the head, the kid has some family left and an enrolled 12-year-old brother.
The last one is a brave soldier who gained his title of "the North Urn-Holes of Flame" by killing alone a FB made of fire. He died, roasted alive, seconds after that, but man, was that awesome.

Other special mentions without any particular story behind them: "the Silvery Lessons (appropriate for a Hammerdwarf whose weapon would be even more effective if it were made of silver)", and the deceased "Reclusive Purge".
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:31 am »

The folded organ of justifying.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:45 am »

Squad called the "deep dungeons."