Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Present Time.  (Read 794 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
The Present Time.
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:31:08 pm »

I thought since this was the "life advice" thread it would be best put it here.
Technically it's more of a speech than a request for help,but I'm going to submit it to an anthology contest and wanted to hear what the other Know-it-all Mcsassypantses on this forum thought of it first.
Spoiler:  WOAH WALL OF TECKS (click to show/hide)
Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: The Present Time.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:18 am »

The Epic of Gilgamesh said it first: We will not live forever, but the memories of our deeds can resound gloriously throughout the halls of history in ages long after our own.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:23:01 am »

My best technique for not being bothered by past/future/stuff you can't do anything with is trying as hard as you can not to care. Worried about dying one day? Not afraid, don't care, problem solved. Did something you regret? Too bad, too late now, don't care, problem solved. Have a bad conscience because you have such a good life and people in other countries(or even your own) are starving? Well... not caring here would be the lazy, egotistical approach, but it works. Alternatively find a reliable company and give money to charity each month.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:03:17 am »

Interesting read, I'd have to say that I take a similar approach to life. I dee people around me fearful of things that have happened and getting all churned up inside because of things that may happen yet I happily trundle through life always in the present. Don't get me wrong, I have plans for the future (I'm gonna try out for Oxford, Cambridge and Stafford universities then join the RAF if I can get a position) but what's happening now is what matters to me most. I try to give this advice to as many people as possible as it stops me from getting down and keeps me the quirky, spontaneous person I am now.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:57 pm »

I know it's vogue to say that you should live in the present but that can be very dangerous and short sighted.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »

When I was ~14ish I came up with the proto-version of what is now the philosophy by which I live.  When I was in college, I discovered that it's almost exactly the philosophy that Alcoholics Anonymous espouses.  (which made me wonder how many people I talked to about my philosophy of living thought I was a recovering alcoholic)

It basically boils down to this:

Stuff falls into 1 of 3 categories:
1) Stuff I can't do anything about.
2) Stuff I can do something about.
3) Stuff I can do something about, but don't want to.

If something falls into category 1, then I don't worry about it, because I can't do anything about it.
If something falls into category 2, then I don't worry about it, because I'm doing something about it.
If something falls into category 3, then I don't worry about it, because I don't want it to change.

We took a wide variety of 'stress' tests in my psychology classes, and the professor was always amazed at how low I scored (I never got up into the 'minimal stress' category.

The downside (which took me several years to really realize) is that if I'm not sure how to go about changing something I don't like, then I tend to just accept it and stop looking for a solution.  Fortunately, that's where my wife comes in.