Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 110

Author Topic: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 126: Booze Mist Rising]  (Read 299211 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 121: Crundle Party]
« Reply #1500 on: September 01, 2011, 11:33:27 am »

Meta: Find a janitors closet
Cleanzor: Follow me.

Fantasy: Shoot the Crundles in a collateral, then dodge to the right.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: September 05, 2011, 07:13:35 pm »

I know this comment is 115turns too late to matter... but... when I read the title roll to roll to dodge that does imply if your meta character rolls poorly enough you won't be able to have a chance to roll to dodge with your fantasy character... so... the ability to just control both characters everyturn regardless of the status of the meta character seems... a bit... awful... seems like things go from roll to roll to dodge  (catchy) to... play two roll to dodges at once

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: September 05, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »

It doesn't really matter.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:19 pm »

Yea, that came up as soon as we left the first room as to "how are we controlling our fantasy characters?"  We just sorta abstracted it away with copious amounts of waving hands.  However, if the fantasy character dies, the real one dies too.  Though apparently if the real one dies, the fantasy one goes to the strange island...
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:15 pm »

A while back, Gatleos said if a meta char dies the fantasy char is held in stasis until another meta char from the wait list claims it.

So if Derek dies, someone else can get Derm. *Dun dun duuuun*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 06, 2011, 12:16:15 am »

Yea, that came up as soon as we left the first room as to "how are we controlling our fantasy characters?"  We just sorta abstracted it away with copious amounts of waving hands.  However, if the fantasy character dies, the real one dies too.  Though apparently if the real one dies, the fantasy one goes to the strange island...

The Fantasy character didn't GO to a strange island. The Meta Character went to the future while his Future Self was in the past. Your Meta Character while in the future was controlling Your Future Fantasy Character.  Thus the island is a place that your Fantasy Character will be at that point in time.

IE: Imagine you are playing an RPG. At 10 hours into game you travel a 3 days into the future and start up the game and the game has been progressed up to 50 hours. Then you go back in time only to ponder what you saw when you looked at the save file.

This is basically what your characters did, they went to the future and their neural implants picked up their character however many hours down the line. Meanwhile the past Fantasy character drops to the floor because your future selves were considerate enough to somehow block their commands to your characters while still receiving the signal telling their collars not to explode. Why did they do this? You ever take two Gamecube Wavebirds and set them to one receiver, it gets weird. It is almost schizophrenic. 

PS: Now here's a thought, the above bit kind of deals with the whole "Don't cross the streams" bit. So what if, one of the Future Metas had given a command to the Fantasy Character while the Present Meta gave a command and they both succeeded in their rolls. I imagine the results are best described by this phrase that popped in my head: DOUBLE DERM TRAVESTY TANTRUM!

Luckily, we don't need to worry about this kind of over-the-top craziness anymore as the time portals have close for the time-being.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:38:28 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:07 am »

This is the second time I've been used as a unit of measurement.

Still awesome.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1507 on: September 06, 2011, 11:16:10 am »

Not sure why I didn't show off this before, but there it is. As you can see, it's slightly outdated.
I know this comment is 115turns too late to matter... but... when I read the title roll to roll to dodge that does imply if your meta character rolls poorly enough you won't be able to have a chance to roll to dodge with your fantasy character... so... the ability to just control both characters everyturn regardless of the status of the meta character seems... a bit... awful... seems like things go from roll to roll to dodge  (catchy) to... play two roll to dodges at once
The original concept for this RTD was something along the lines of this: you're a group of nerds in a basement somewhere, playing some sort of tabletop version of RTD. But instead of playing the characters in the game, you play the players themselves. The characters would be affected by the condition of their real-life counterparts (like mental penalties in the real world causing the fictional character to do stupid things), and the players would be encouraged to try and screw each other over in the real world to help their own fantasy characters. But the setting seemed too mundane, so I decided on a kidnapping scenario. And it kind of escalated from there...
PS: Now here's a thought, the above bit kind of deals with the whole "Don't cross the streams" bit. So what if, one of the Future Metas had given a command to the Fantasy Character while the Present Meta gave a command and they both succeeded in their rolls. I imagine the results are best described by this phrase that popped in my head: DOUBLE DERM TRAVESTY TANTRUM!
You know, I'm actually getting to the point where I'm going to need to make a flowchart or something to keep track of all the layers of narrative going on. Not to mention the time shenanigans.

**********~
Turn 122
**********~

META TURN:

Well... uh... okay then.

Goals
Find the keycard stations.

Current Soundtrack
Elevator Room

Actions
RW: Gain new ability.
MC (+MMC): plz come back ;.;
(...) You think with all your might, concentrating all your mental energy in an attempt to spontaneously gain a new ability! Suddenly, you feel an intense pounding in your skull and your helmet begins sparking uncontrollably! You feel like you could contact anything with your helmet right now!
(...) Using your temporary store of mental energy, you project an extremely strong signal through the time portal! The signal continues straight past MC, heading further and further into the future!
"Come back EM-CEEEEEEEEE"
"AAAGGGGHHHH, temporal feedback! Who is this?!"
"Wait, what? Future me?! Where's MC?"
"I was wondering when I was going to get this call. Hold onto your ass, me, things are about to get crazy."
"What are you talking about? What's happening?"
"Transmitting radio signals through time loops, that's what! Here comes the boom!"
*Line Cut*
"Hello?! Me?! STOP BEING SO VAGUE"

Just then, a deafening siren fills your ears! The radio signal sent from your helmet into the future begins cycling through the time loop, producing deafening temporal feedback and coalescing into a sonic resonance cascade! Several tachyon streams intersect your brain at once, disabling something deep within your subconscious!

"Ugh... hello? Are you still there, future me?"
"Huh? Who's talking?"
"Uh oh."

Meta: Investigate beeping
(...) You head down the hall and approach the lobby pedestal. Looking to your left, you see one of the teleportation pads light up.

Access level green granted. You have downloaded additional pedestal locations.

RW: Stand around, testing my x-ray vision.
(...) You project X-rays backward, through your eyes and into your brain! You receive irreversible brain damage and fall unconscious.
Meta: Beeping ahoy!
(...) You are confused and saddened by the beeping noise that you can somehow hear from several floors above. You stand awkwardly and ponder your inadequacy, then decide not to take the keycard because you're feeling contrary.
Meta: Find a janitors closet
Cleanzor: Follow me.

(...) You begin to search for a janitors closet, but immediately trip and fall on your face. Cleanz0r looms over you, his blocky shadow silently mocking you.

The future portal begins to close!

Status

Player: dermonster
Name: Derek L.
Currently: x2 reference combo.
Inventory: Explosive Collar | Jumpsuit | Splint | Bottle of Painkillers | Keen Helmet | Pencil x4 | Coffee Mug | Sonic Cannon
Wounds: Heavy Burns
Abilities: Code Expert | Neckbeard | NERD RAEG | No Delta Brain Wave | Split Personality

Player: Frelock
Name: Frederick Stephonavich
Currently: Checking the map.
Inventory: Explosive Collar | Jumpsuit | Laser Dagger | Cheetah Arm | Thermometer
Wounds: Missing Arm | Heavy Bleeding
Abilities: Uncanny Prediction | Actuary's Lament | Tweak the Odds

Player: monk12
Name: Monk
Description: Characteristically wears nice hats. Top hats, pirate hats, fedoras, you name it. Hopefully still has one in his possession.
Currently: Wallowing.
Inventory: Moist Top Hat | Explosive Collar | Jumpsuit | Plasma Rifle | Balloon Animal | Mirror Suit
Wounds: None
Abilities: Applied Phlebotinum | TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life | MacGyvering | Telekinesis | Pyrokinesis | Legendary Record Keeper

Player: HighEndNoob
Name: Kyle Hammers
Currently: Laying on the floor.
Inventory: Explosive Collar | Jumpsuit | Mop | Rubber Gloves | Medkit | Power Cleaner | Wheelchair | Burlap Sack | Spray Can | Gas Mask | Bucket | Cleanz0r (commanding)
Wounds: Missing Legs | Triple Head Bumps | Blind
Abilities: That's The Power of Pinesol, Bitch! | Clean Freak | Custodial Might | EMT | Digitigrade Legs | Telepathy | Clairvoyance

Player: _DivideByZero_
Name: John Freeman
Currently: Sigh...
Inventory: Explosive Collar | 1/2 Jumpsuit | Turban | Unicorn Band-aids | Glass Shard | Fake Ammo Belts | Caruso Shades | Cheetah Arm | Spacesuit | Arm Cannon | Paperweight x3
Wounds: Brain Damage | Unconscious
Abilities: Major Payne | Fullmetal Jacket | Apocalypse Now | X-Ray Vision

Name: Cleanz0r
Description: A bulky cleaning robot who takes orders from Kyle.
Inventory: Disinfectant | Cleaning Brush x3
Wounds: None
Abilities: None

Group Attacks
Impromptu Singalong
Spur of Conflagration to Giga Lazor

Locations

The S.S. Periclase

Main Deck

Deck 2

Maintenance Deck 3, Main Elevator

Maintenance Deck 3, Living Quarters

Maintenance Deck 3, Engineering Lab

EARTH!

Elevator Controls

Interrogation Room 7E-365 (Deck M3): You were all shackled to chairs in here when you woke up. The door has been dropkicked off its hinges. There's circuitry on the walls, a row of monitors, and a row of 5 chairs.

Spoiler: INITIATING RTD ROUTINE (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:26:00 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 122: Becoming The Hell-binder]
« Reply #1508 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:46 pm »

Meta: Let's head to deck M1

Fantasy: BLOOD FOR THE DEATH GOD!!!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Shiney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 122: Becoming The Hell-binder]
« Reply #1509 on: September 06, 2011, 02:31:31 pm »

Ever read two (IN ONE!) extremely well written 121 turn RTD's from the begging?
Its taken like a week, I feel as though I just read through the better part of a novel. XD

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 06, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »

Trope page edited! We have our image!

Also holy fuck yes.

RW: Examine this link in closer detail.
MC: Attempt to come back of your own violation.

FW: Heal legs!
Mutie: Assimilate the constrictor!
Rats: Mess up some damned snakes!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:37:23 pm by dermonster »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 06, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »

RW: Be unconscious.
FW: Spin around in rage slicing anything around me in half after fatally bludgeoning it.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »

Meta: Slap John to fix his brain, or at least wake him up.
Fantasy:Get-up, and take shots at the crundles around Urist to distract them until the rest of the team arrives.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 06, 2011, 05:49:01 pm »

The rest of the team being me who's bleeding to death while being attacked by snakes.

I might remind you that if Derm dies the resulting Magical nuclear fireball would turn a small moon to molten slag Derek will take all of you in second storage with him.

You know, the guy who's good with computers aboard a ship with deadly AI's?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:52:39 pm by dermonster »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 06, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »

Meta: Grab Keycard, head to deck M1

Fantasy: Kill the Batman

Also, does anybody remember what the green dots on the map are?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 110