Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 110

Author Topic: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 126: Booze Mist Rising]  (Read 299079 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Roll To Dodge: A Meta-Adventure [Turn 111: The Entertainment]
« Reply #1350 on: July 03, 2011, 09:56:20 pm »

Yeah, you should request a couple dozen waterfalls, and time the embark for when the (frozen) ocean melts. See if you can get an underwater volcano too.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1351 on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »

Apparently, I chose to make a resolution to update more often right before consecutive day-long vacations by me and about half the players. Bleh, I'll update in the morning.
[1] You are trapped frozen in time for all eternity as the FPS drops off the scale.
If the FPS dropped to zero, wouldn't your mental processes freeze too? So... you would be there for eternity, but you wouldn't experience eternity. Then again, if the FPS in a DF universe represents the flow of time, you couldn't say that zero FPS would lead to an eternity in a frozen state, since time is, in fact, standing still. It's like trying to divide by zero.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 03, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »

That's me! :D
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 04, 2011, 02:22:34 pm »

Someone add that exchange to the Crowning Moments of Funny page, stat!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 04, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »

Speaking of TvTropes, We need a header Image. One that goes on the right in the main page. But I suspect it will come in due time.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1355 on: July 04, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

Someone add that exchange to the Crowning Moments of Funny page, stat!
If that honestly made you laugh out loud, add it. Then heighten your standards.

EDIT: No offense, DbZ. I meant the exchange as a whole. ::)
Speaking of TvTropes, We need a header Image. One that goes on the right in the main page. But I suspect it will come in due time.
*wink wink nudge nudge*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:35:45 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 04, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Apparently, I chose to make a resolution to update more often right before consecutive day-long vacations by me and about half the players. Bleh, I'll update in the morning.
[1] You are trapped frozen in time for all eternity as the FPS drops off the scale.
If the FPS dropped to zero, wouldn't your mental processes freeze too? So... you would be there for eternity, but you wouldn't experience eternity. Then again, if the FPS in a DF universe represents the flow of time, you couldn't say that zero FPS would lead to an eternity in a frozen state, since time is, in fact, standing still. It's like trying to divide by zero.

I suppose this depends on the limits of the simulation. If it can actually retard our sensation of time, then from our perspective it would appear that we just died as we hurtled thousands of years into the future when the very molecules of our spaceship decayed into nothingness. Or, more likely, we fall into a black hole/star/Negative Space Wedgie. If it cannot, then everything around us would become frozen while we move freely about the deck. Or, worst case scenario, we remain conscious of the regular passage of time, but because the physics of our simulated world is frozen we are locked in place, fully aware as we slowly starve to death. Actually, the very worst case scenario would involve failsafes intended to prevent such a death activating, maintaining our lives indefinitely in a situation reminiscent of one of the Hitchhiker's novels.

Not to give the GM any ideas, mind.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 05, 2011, 05:56:52 pm »

Actually, you wouldn't starve if physics are locked in place, because chemical reactions are the ones that require you to eat. If there is no work being done, there is no consumption of energy and thus no eating is required. As to whether consciousness is involved, we obviously wouldn't know. If consciousness scales with time, then we wouldn't notice any sort of lag because the world is still running at its default speed. However, if time is frozen... if the world ends at that point, the effect would be probably like death, but what happens then is subject to your worldview. However, if we continue to exist indefinitely, with our consciousness frozen as well... we would probably not notice that nothing is happening, because our minds don't have a chance to process what is going on. So nothing would happen, but we wouldn't notice that nothing would happen because like gatleos stated, our mental processes also wouldn't react to it, being likewise frozen.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 05, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »

Or everything blows up and we get on with it?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:10 am »

Or everything blows up and we get on with it?

This is what I'm hoping for, we'll see.

Also, Tweak the odds in hopes of avoiding an epic fail.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:29 am »

I still say you should try a paradox. Just to see what happens.

(And pray your simulation isn't run by Wheatley... though I guess if that would be the case, failing to exit the simulation would be the least of your worries..)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zebrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

I love this thread. :D
Derm, you insane monstrosity, you.
Kira Mightblade: From flaw in a animation to memetic sex goddess in one thread.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 06, 2011, 08:25:03 pm »

Know what would be awesome? If we finish up here, play another dozen turns and see another pedestal, at which point we realize we never left the simulation. Then spend the rest of the game being unsure about whether we have EVER left the simulation.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:53 pm »

No. /backhand

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:46 pm »

Bump.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 110