Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Might be starting a law firm  (Read 1731 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Might be starting a law firm
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

I AM NOT CURRENTLY A LAWYER; CANNOT OFFER LEGAL ADVICE.

Just wanted to see what people thought.
Would it be a good idea? I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:38:26 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Might be starting a law firm
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »

I must be missing something here, why is it not feasible for the other lawyer and you to continue working after the master lawyer retires? I assume the other lawyer has sufficient experience under his belt, so he can continue teaching you. Keeping the same firm running should be good for getting customers. Of course, there's the matter of settling things financially with the old lawyer (I'm guessing he's the owner of the firm), but you should be able to figure that one since that's what you lawyers do (I think).

As a young lawyer on your own you should do fine with wills etc., but I doubt many people will trust you with criminal cases when your hair isn't grey enough.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »

I must be missing something here, why is it not feasible for the other lawyer and you to continue working after the master lawyer retires?

He wants hundreds of thousands of dollars cash, now. I can't afford that. Could you?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:37:47 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:10:51 pm »

It sounds like you should be making your own business instead of buying his then. Good luck with the law firm. I can't offer you much advice, unfortunately, but you have my support as an internet stranger should you need it.

Some people find comfort in high prices I guess, because they believe they must be getting good value for money with a price that high. How are you planning on dealing with that?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:37 pm »

I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:37:03 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »

You may want to consider adding the occasional consumer bankruptcy to the services you plan on offering.  I understand there's always a pretty big demand for that, and it could supplement your criminal practice when it's not bringing in the amount of work you want.

Regarding your questions; answering objections and attracting business is basic marketing.  You may want to look into getting some marketing expertise in addition to your legal training.  If you're able to market yourself aggressively, perform well, and compete on price, then there's no reason you couldn't build a good practice for yourself.
At last, she is done.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:12:34 pm »

I dont' know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:36:43 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 09:25:02 pm »

I've seen virtuous cases of everyday middle class people turned away, because they couldn't shell out thousands of dollars in legal fees. They were right. They should've won, but they couldn't afford a lawyer. They made "too much money" to get a court appointed lawyer and made too little to actually afford one. Or the lawyer's fees would eat up the money they were fighting for so it wasn't worth it to fight....

I smell a niche.  If you could make referral arrangements with other firms, you might be able to get a steady stream of cases like this.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »

I smell a niche.  If you could make referral arrangements with other firms, you might be able to get a steady stream of cases like this.

Problem here is that you're too innocently generous.... I don't think that'd work well.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:36:19 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:19:08 am »

Something I learned in sales a long time ago: always give a reason for why you have the best prices.

If you tell someone you have the lowest price they may believe you.  If you tell someone they're saving money by going with you because they're not paying for the fancy offices and expensive name, then they'll think they're getting a deal.
At last, she is done.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »

2.) "With Liberty and Justice for All," not just those who can pay an arm and a leg for it.
I've seen virtuous cases of everyday middle class people turned away, because they couldn't shell out thousands of dollars in legal fees. They were right. They should've won, but they couldn't afford a lawyer. They made "too much money" to get a court appointed lawyer and made too little to actually afford one. Or the lawyer's fees would eat up the money they were fighting for so it wasn't worth it to fight....

I guess I have that fatal flaw for lawyers: a conscience.
I'm also not greedy as hell.... That one'll end up getting me too....

Of course I could always raise my fees if it makes them feel better.... :)
Hah.. I know one who is the same. 
Here is an idea: Set-up a 2nd company as a charity/not-for-profit...  Just charge enough for operating / filing costs or none at all if needed... 
You just gotta learn to take what you figure as clients in actual need and deserving of it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 06:11:43 pm »

Not sure what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:34:52 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 06:25:05 pm »

I don't want to be TOO much of a curmudgeon here, but you're asking a forum about a video game about advice regarding starting a law firm. There is something seriously wrong if you cannot find a better forum (and not necessarily the internet type) for advice about this.

You are not going to find people here with the sort of experience or knowledge required to give particularly good advice about this. Some of us might have our heads screwed on straight, but this isn't the kind of thing you ask random people on the internet unless you have some reason to think the people you're asking are actually knowledgeable about the subject. I highly doubt we have many lawyers here, or people who own their own businesses, much less both.

This is kind of like going on GameFAQs and asking them how to perform an appendectomy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »

I really don't know if this would work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:34:08 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »

Actually, you're all a little too sophisticated to be my target client audience.
I do not intend to represent experts, but rather the everyday person. I have many vices. Blinding pride is not one of them.

I'm not talking about your target audience, or who you are representing. You do not ask your target demographic how to start a business. Even if I'm opening up a hot dog stand to sell them primarily to semi-homeless drifters, that doesn't mean I'm going to ask him how to properly set up or run the business.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2