Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The naming of a new Genre  (Read 2622 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The naming of a new Genre
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 11:11:57 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is Dungeon Keeper on crack. What genre was dungeon keeper?

Real Time Strategy.

I think the term we're looking for here is "Procedural World Simulator," world being a placeholder word to imply that there is an amount of space that the game is confined to, whether that be a country, a planet, or a whole galaxy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:20 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is Dungeon Keeper on crack. What genre was dungeon keeper?
True, and false. DK had an objective, kill other keepers for what ever reason, while not letting your dungeon get over run. DF has the 'don't get over run', but right now it has no 'Beat up thou neighbour'... Yet.

With all this talk of an army arc showing up in toadys to do list, maybe we can command sqauds of our troops to raid dark towers...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 01:27:39 am »

PEGging the other genre's sounds appropriate.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 01:45:30 am »

Dwarf Fortress has an objective, too.

Remember? "Losing is fun!"

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:56:49 am »

I tried Aurora after reading this post. Just couldn't get into it.

I mean, it was the same when I first started playing Dwarf Fortress, but DF somehow kept me interested...coming back. I mean Aurora is just a buttugly spreadsheet game? I don't get it.

Anyone here really plays/enjoys Aurora?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 02:01:30 am »

DF makes me think always about Rococo.
And DF is a piece of art so that categorie migth apply.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 02:06:04 am »

I propose the name FUN games. It stands for something, I just don't know what yet.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 05:39:54 pm »

"Procedural World Simulator," world being a placeholder word to imply that there is an amount of space that the game is confined to, whether that be a country, a planet, or a whole galaxy.
This is what SPORE aspired to (and depressingly failed to achieve). Some slightly simpler description like 'Procedural World Game' might be more appropriate.

The answer to what to call them is 'whatever the hell you like until something sticks with the majority of people'.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »

*Mention of spore*
*Heart breakes*

I had such high hopes, then I played the game... Never again will I beleive that a game with graphics could ever rise to that level.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »

"Procedural World Simulator," world being a placeholder word to imply that there is an amount of space that the game is confined to, whether that be a country, a planet, or a whole galaxy.
This is what SPORE aspired to (and depressingly failed to achieve). Some slightly simpler description like 'Procedural World Game' might be more appropriate.

Ehhh.  I'm even hesitant to call Spore a "simulator" as it didn't actually simulate anything.  Other creatures never fought with each other, "eco-disasters" in space-phase meant jack squat, an "ecosystem" consisted of (about) 3 plants and 6 animals, civs never conquered each other (except in city phase, which is a moot point as your goal is to dominate a mere half of the planet and push an "I win" button, which as it turns out, exists simply to spare you the tedious grind to total victory which takes about 10 additional minutes as your steamroller squashes the other half of the planet).

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »

Ehhh.  I'm even hesitant to call Spore a "simulator" as it didn't actually simulate anything.  Other creatures never fought with each other, "eco-disasters" in space-phase meant jack squat, an "ecosystem" consisted of (about) 3 plants and 6 animals, civs never conquered each other (except in city phase, which is a moot point as your goal is to dominate a mere half of the planet and push an "I win" button, which as it turns out, exists simply to spare you the tedious grind to total victory which takes about 10 additional minutes as your steamroller squashes the other half of the planet).
When DF is finished, it will have encompassed the original goals of Spore; this part of the game that beats Spore at its own game will comprise approximately .000004% of DF's source code.

I like the "Procedural World Simulator" name, by the way.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:21 pm »

ProWS sounds fine.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:25 am »

Hence "aspired to". There were a lot of things promised that ended up being just plain bullshit.

How about "Procedural Open-ended Game", for the nostalgia-bomb factor?

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:53 am »

I don't really know why people think DF is a roguelike. It has ASCII graphics, it's pretty complex, and it deletes your save when you die. That's... that's pretty much it. Maybe adventure mode is closer, but that's even more like an RPG than a roguelike. You can explore the world and don't have a central goal, and you can choose what you want to specialize in and change it as time goes on. Your relations to others are more important many times than your abilities and equipment, and you can keep playing forever, even after finishing the challenges.

Procedural World Simulator is probably my favorite name. I agree that DF doesn't really fit in, though simulation/RTS gets pretty close.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:56:41 am »

The cardinal difference between DF and Aurora is that DF is actually a game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3