Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: featuring the bug: soap bars  (Read 1400 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
featuring the bug: soap bars
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:47:17 am »

I've actually found a way to make use of the soap bar bug.
The only requirement is that you use dfcleanmap (part of the DFHack pack).

Whenever I've had a battle, or other event that causes my dwarves to get dirty en masse, I draft them all and station them in the dwarf washing room. Pull lever, wash dwarves, dfcleanmap >> profit.

Next to that, I have a lever in my dwarfwash room. Here's were the bug comes in handy.
Whenever a dwarf gets dirty, he will notice me of that, because of the bug (job cancellation). That will tell me, to have that dwarf pull the lever.

As a result, my fortress is very clean. I get the bugs'  message a few times a season, and instead of bugging me, it actually helps me keep my dwarves clean :D.
Which means: more FPS

My doctors also happily use their soap in the hospital. I've yet to see an infection.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Re: featuring the bug: soap bars
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »

have fun with that until toady fixes the exploit.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:55:03 pm »

If toady fixes the bug, he wouldn't need the exploit.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »

I am the soap!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:28:34 pm »

I has an idea:

Mops, to dwarves have magical mops that clean contaminants of the floor...  probably need a designation of mop cleaning or something...  clean floor maybe?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »

have fun with that until toady fixes the exploit.
Fixes the...?  You mean dfcleanmap?  That's a mod.  It actively changes the game's behavior.  There's a difference.

Oh!  You mean using ad hoc showers to cleanse dirty dwarves!  Well, as far as I know when you get covered in a liquid you're SUPPOSED to get a covering of whatever material it happens to be, so that's not as much of an exploit as it is a clever (if possibly unintentional - and I won't even rule out the unintentional part) use of game mechanics.

Perhaps you're talking about reacting to the error message?  No, that's just being conscious.  The game does something to inform you about the world and you react to it: also not an exploit...  I mean, if you get a message that says "Urist McHauler cancels haul: interrupted by Blind Cave Bear" and send your military in to save the dwarf then that's not an exploit, right?  It's the same thing.

I don't get it.  What imbalanced gameplay element is he using to gain an unfair advantage?  Who is he getting an unfair advantage again?  In a game that ENCOURAGES trying to break the laws of physics (and indeed, sometimes decides on its own that physics can take a break - see the threads about cotton candy space elevators, bizarre volcanoes, surface pits straight to the circus, and so on), can you really call ANY unusual use of mechanics like that an exploit?

Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »

He eans fixing the error message spam bug