Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: buckets of water everywhere  (Read 1590 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
buckets of water everywhere
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:56:08 am »

Why do my dwarves keep filling buckets and then leaving them, half-filled, all over the fortress? Is this a well-known issue? Is there some easy fix to this? Seriously, it's like that mickey mouse cartoon with the brooms in my fortress, as I "accidentally" deconstructed the depot during some elven trades, which resulted in an extraordinary number of buckets, which everybody decided needed to be filled with water and scattered to the four winds...

halp?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: buckets of water everywhere
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:35:16 am »

It's the new fire fighting scheme, the mayor bought in. This way, when there is a fire, the local militia can put it out with ease.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 07:08:22 am »

alzheimers, alzheimers everywhere

"aye, theres a fire, i must take this bucket of water! bucket of water, i must... uhhhh.... i'm hungry."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:59:40 am »

Whenever you have a significantly thirsty dwarf in your fortress, any dwarf with free time and the right job enabled will bring them water.  To do this they will grab an empty bucket and fill it with 10 units of water and bring it to the thirsty dwarf.  Drinking it leaves 9 units of water to the bucket, which then gets left lying around.  Because that bucket has water in it and is no longer empty, it's not eligible to be used by any job that requires an empty bucket, so you get left with half-full buckets everywhere.

In most of my fortresses I set up a dairy, and constantly have dwarves milking cows.  For some reason the milking job will accept buckets that are half-full of water, and the dwarf dumps the water on the floor before using the bucket for milking.  The milk later gets transferred to a barrel, leaving empty buckets and smears of water on the floor around the dairy workshop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »

I believe buckets with 9/10 water can still be used to 'give water.'  Also, because "fill water for cast" job is broken, its still possible to use partially full buckets to successfully apply casts.   Also keeping extra buckets mean you're less likely to run out of buckets while waiting for milk to be transfered to barrels.

I liek buckets.

Anyone have a picture of that walrus that loves his bucket?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 06:50:51 pm »

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 06:52:26 pm »

http://www.ihasaflavor.com/lolcats/possession-of-mah-bucket.jpg
This thread is now about walruses and buckets

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:32:31 pm »

I believe those are manatees, not walruses.

Also, fun fact: The myth of mermaids came from horny and very lonely sailors having fantasies about manatees.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42:04 pm »

Also, fun fact: The myth of mermaids came from horny and very lonely sailors having fantasies about manatees.

Fun fact: There is a similar story that involves the village people.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »

Actually it came from horny, very lonley, Drunken Sailors who mistook them for half women- half fish creatures. If you're wondering how the got THAT drunk, remember alcohol was the ONLY thing to drink, because the using alcohol was the only way to ensure that the drinks would not become contaminated by bacteria (or miasma, or whatever they attributed that type of thing when the practice was first established)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:45:12 pm »

Actuly I think the original one was a sea lion