Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Player healthcare  (Read 1355 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Player healthcare
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:23:49 am »

How long is your DF playing session?

Do you take breaks while playing? If you do, when do you take breaks and what do you do?

Do you have any discomfort after your regular playing session?

I usually play during the evening for about 2-4 hours. I have seasonal save enabled so I take breaks and perform bodily function or exercise during that time. When I get immigrants I usually pause and walk around the room as I plan on their function as well. My eyes get tired after playing but it's already late at night so playing is probably not the cause. I go to bed after playing anyway.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Player healthcare
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:29:12 am »

About fifteen minutes to half an hour, I play it in between having to do work. The ascii is relaxing after having compilers yell at you because of stupid mistakes like forgetting semicolens. Of corse the short play time means a fort goes for weeks, and I got more attached to it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:18:05 am »

At times I played DF for hours. Twelve hours or more, with only small breaks to eat and such.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:39:34 am »

Lots of short breaks here. I got to get up and stretch, can't sit for as long as I used too when I was younger. And usually an hour or 2 in the evenings is my main playing time, and its rare I get more than a year in per session.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »

Depends, really.  If I'm doing other work or writing I play it for 15-20 minutes.  If I focus solely on Dwarf Fort... I can play for hours on end until I realize I've been watching little drunken Ascii guys running around butchering kittens.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 07:26:46 pm »

I tend to play for hours at a time in silence.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

grueburger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 08:25:51 pm »

If i'm obsessing over my current fort i can play for entire days but once i get bored with it it'll be a few weeks before i play again.  It's an all or nothing game for me, but i always return eventually.  This must be the only game i've actually returned to more than once or twice, but i guess the quick dev cycle helps that.

Breaks only occurr when i am literally too uncomfortable to concentrate.  So kinda like 31.01 dwarves who would starve themselves to death trying to mine massive rooms out.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »

If DF ever gets really popular I hope no one ever sees this thread and realizes what a bunch of hardcore nonstop computer gamers we are.

I'm not. I play for about 15-20 minutes at a time in Adventure mode, sometimes 30 minutes at a time in fort mode. There's always something interesting but that's not enough to keep me playing for hours on end :D I'm not dorfy enough.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

If DF ever gets really popular I hope no one ever sees this thread and realizes what a bunch of hardcore nonstop computer gamers we are.
Nonsense, we are a proud people. And the less hardcore computer gamers will respect us.

Yeah, I'll play for hours on end if I have free time. Also freeformschooler that is the longest avatar (in duration) I have ever seen.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:44:59 pm »

Like others I'm all over the place, sometimes playing for large amounts of time, sometimes just short bursts and sometimes I just let it run in the background while I do other things and check it (often when a fort is older and there isn't as much micromanagement necessary outside of migrant waves, trading and sieges).

-MB