Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: make militia go back to civ jobs for a while  (Read 823 times)

catphive

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
make militia go back to civ jobs for a while
« on: December 25, 2010, 11:29:29 pm »

Thanks for your help, I'm new to dwarf fortress.

I recently created a militia squad, and added my carpenter to it. I noticed he never takes a break from training to go back to work as a carpenter. I need him to make some stuff with his carpentry skill, so I tried deactivating the entire squad. Instead of training in a group, he just sits in the barracks doing individual training. I even turned training off for the barracks, and he won't leave and go back to work.

How do you force militia to go back to their civilian jobs for a while?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: make militia go back to civ jobs for a while
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 11:32:26 pm »

try removing him from the squad
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:01:56 am »

He will automatically stop doing individual training if he has other civilian things to do, like carpentry. It may take a while however, for him to finish individual training.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:06:05 am »

Try (f)reeing the armor stand or whatever piece of furniture from which the barracks is designated.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:21:20 am »

I never designate barracks.
All my civilian dwarves are in military squads (5 dwarves per squad)
That way, you can arm and outfit *all* your dwarves, except miners and woodcutters.
I keep my miners and woodcutters in one squad, and they are the only dwarves that never see battle. The inability to permanently outfit them in decent armor makes them way too vulnerable.

All my other dwarves wear a full set of steel armor (chain, plate, gauntlet, boot, helm, greaves, shield), plus 2 cloaks (one GCS silk cloak sewn with plant fibre image, one plant fibre cloak sewn with GCS silk image).

Their defensive skills are trained up in the danger room, their weapon skills are trained with the help of craploads of goblin captives.

With this method, there's no dwarf labor wasted, while you can still have a decent military.
Do keep an eye on the dwarves' labors though, as once they hit legendary in certain combat skills, activating them with a (s)quad order causes them to turn off all civilian labor. You will have to turn that back on once you revert to civilian duty.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

catphive

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »

Removing the dwarf from the squad temporarily seems to be the most effective way to get him to stop training quickly.

capt.pantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:16:14 am »

How do you force militia to go back to their civilian jobs for a while?

As others have said, removing the Dorf from the squad is the most reliable way to get them back to Civ jobs, but the long-term solution is to lower the minimum training number in the squad's schedule. That, and/or set-up the schedule to alternate training and no-orders months. This can also help with the negative thoughts from 'long patrol duty' (FYI: 'Patrol' here is a catch-all for military jobs)

Also, I'd recommend having more than one carpenter. Cross-training your dwarves is rather especial to the long-term health of the fort.

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »

My military is composed of dwarves that do nothing but train.  My important crafters and workers don't get involved in the military at all.  By keeping them separate, you don't have to worry about job assignments throwing a wrench into your training schedule.

Martinuzz's idea is very cool.  I may try that next time around.  But with a good front gate setup, nobody should be getting in your fort to eat all your tender unarmed crafters.

Krecik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:30:47 pm »

I've got a related question - during my emergency I had to draft half of my dwarves into military, including my legendary miners. After they ripped invaders apart, I disbanded the squad. But, after that, thay won't go back to their civ duties. I tried disabling and enabling labors for them, but still nothing. They've got 'no job' in their current task according to DT. What to do?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:34:16 pm »

Krecik, if you still have a militia commander, vacate his position, unassign/free their training area. If they are still doing nothing, select another militia commander, assign the rest to the squad, assign a training area, let them train for a few seconds, then unassign it, free up the armor rack, weapon wrack
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration