Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thank God I accepted that 'fun' will happen  (Read 794 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
Thank God I accepted that 'fun' will happen
« on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

I am watching 12 invading goblins on a high savagery world steadily destroy my beloved fortress.  I had no door to close leading into the fortress (I really need to start building a door to close....)  And well... the bridge trap didn't work out because i was in the middle of reengineering it.... and the corpses from the previous invasion were still needing to be buried because the burial area was submerged (hence reengineering)...

Ugh.  But wow was it ever fun to watch this fortress blossom, hope for a while, and die.

I knew i should have updated the military...  and the pumps...  and not been anal about clearing out the magnetite... and not anal about making steel instead of iron....  and not anal about building iron furniture....

Hm.  I am not anal in RL.  WTF???  Ah well.  10 dwarves left to go.  There were 80something when the invasion started.

This was a FUN fortress. =)  Already plotting the next one...

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God I accepted that 'fun' will happen
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:52:27 pm »

Looks like you had fun!  ;)

That's one of the challenges of this game, making sure one is sufficiently prepared for that first attack and not getting distracted early on by other stuff. I couldn't count the number of fortresses I've lost to early kobold ambushes due to neglecting the defenses...  ::)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »

The first time I lost a fort to an ambush, I didn't understand the concept of FUN and naturally, I ragequit DF for a week or two. :(
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:59:14 pm »

Yea, but if you don't neglect defenses a little bit you can end up with Urist McCrazy getting an axe and doing some damage.  Its no wonder the dwarves are so neurotic. =)

Hehe. 

And -- get this -- the invaders were finally thwarted.  I went from 80something dwarves down to 12.  THere is a veritable river of blood and guts in the common room.  This is going to be a great mess to clean up.

Now... to build that door...

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »

The first time I lost a fort to an ambush, I didn't understand the concept of FUN and naturally, I ragequit DF for a week or two. :(

i know the feeling.  I did the same thing over self flagellation.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »

I lost my second fortress to a Kobold Ambush. To make matters worse, It happened while I was AFK and forgot to pause. I just plowed onwards, and lost my third fortress to thirst and no barrels.

My seventh fortress was lost to boredom. I was proud of this.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »

I lost my second fortress to a Kobold Ambush. To make matters worse, It happened while I was AFK and forgot to pause. I just plowed onwards, and lost my third fortress to thirst and no barrels.

...And the eight fortress caught fire, burned to the ground, then fell over into the swamp...

But the ninth fortress....

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 10:43:38 pm »

They told me I couldn't build a fortress in the swamp!

They were right. I've limited myself to forests, mountains and deserts since.

My thirteenth fortress caught fire, actually. Well, the grass above ground did, and 5 of my 7 were burned alive. Darn Fire imps.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »

...And the eight fortress caught fire, burned to the ground, then fell over into the swamp...

But the ninth fortress....
...was built on the eighth one. :P
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.