Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workaround for the ammo issues?  (Read 598 times)

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workaround for the ammo issues?
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

I did a search and the community seems to say that there are issues with assigning bolts. I correctly made my marksdwarves train by disabling ammo assigned to hunters, but their training has become an issue - they shoot away all their ammo faster than I can replace it, and, even though entire forests and ore veins have been burned up, they're left with empty quivers when the goblins DO come. And no matter what I assign them on the Military/Ammunition screen, they disregard it, so they'll happily fire away the metal bolts in training and then shrug at me.

My question is, is there a meaningful workaround/solution to this problem? Or all I can do is get the marksdwarves off training to preserve ammo?
fox has become enraged!

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workaround for the ammo issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »

Put a stockpile of ammunition then asign only metal bolts in there. Mass forbid the metal bolts (from stock menu, or from the stockpile you have for metal bolts) then lock the doors of the stockpile, obsidianize (water + magma) the perimeter and then, design as a restricted zone (and set restricted zones to 10000 steps)

When goblins come unassign zone, dig it up, mass reclaim, and set the training bolts to another pile (do the same for this until goblins are gone)

EDIT: i forget to tell you, find a thread in the forum that names "unlimited adamantine generator" in there you will learn how to use metal bolts to gain experience, without deppleting bolts (you may learn how to cheat for infinite steel/adamantine, but you CAN doit without cheating)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:06:01 pm by Mechanist »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:05:57 pm »

I suggest making a channel in all directions from the archery target except for one orthogonal direction, the bolts should plop to the ground unharmed almost all of the time.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »

Got it. Thank you both!
fox has become enraged!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »

Even easier solution here...

ONLY select the traning bolts with a T. DO NOT tag the combat ones with a C. tagging either with a C or T will make them get picked up and placed in a quiver, and used for any purpose. When an ambush, siege or kill order is needed, go into the ammo menu and remove the T and add a C to combat bolts. then dwarves will swap to ones that will hurt enemies...

This is a blank sig.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:50:27 am »

OK, I'll try designating just wooden bolts together with "bolt recycling", that should be a great solution! I didn't get far last night because Windows had a blue screen (haven't seen that in ages) but will try again. :) Thanks!
fox has become enraged!