Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crossbow construction should require mechanism & forging a dual skill.  (Read 3154 times)

Ogg the Blinky Sock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've long wondered why the construction of a crossbow does not require a mechanism, as it was the invention of primitive gears and ratchets that allowed heavier powered crossbows to be developed, historically speaking.

Additionally, if it is possible to require multiple skills for a task, it would be nice to see bowyer/metalsmith or even bowyer/metalsmith/mechanic skills affecting the ability to produce metal crossbows;  there's an analogous anomaly with metal animal traps.

serving suggestions:

1 log + 1 mechanism (stone/metal) >> bowyer & mechanic skill, at bowyer's workshop >> wooden crossbow
1 metal bar + 1 mechanism (metal) >> bowyer & weaponsmith or metalsmith & mechanic, at forge >> metal crossbow

advanced serving suggestions:
(a 'prod' is the bow part, and a 'tiller' is the haft or stock part.)

1 log >> weighted composite of bowyer & woodcrafter skill @ bowyer's workshop >> [implicitly] small wooden prod & small wooden tiller >> practice/light game crossbow

1 log + 1 leather or 1 horn >> weighted composite of bowyer, woodcrafter and leatherworker skill @ bowyer's workshop >> a laminated composite prod
1 metal bar >> weaponcrafter skill with additional quality if bowyer @ forge >> a metal prod
1 log >> weighted composite of bowyer & woodcrafter skill @ bowyer's workshop >> a wooden tiller (add for bone & metal if desired, no effect on weapon quality)

composite prod + tiller + any mechanism >> bowyer's skill with additional quality if mechanic @ bowyer's workshop >> wooden crossbow
metal prod + tiller + metal mechanism >> bowyer's skill  with additional quality if mechanic @ bowyer's workshop >> metal crossbow

Ogg the Blinky Sock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow construction should require mechanism & forging a dual skill.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

...and I typed all that in the wrong browser tab.  Sorry, people.  Can it be hoisted to suggestions if a moderator sees this?  :(

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 01:14:48 pm »

I agree that crossbows (being mechanical and all) should require a mechanism built from the Mechanics Workshop - however I am fairly sure this belongs in the subforum marked "Suggestions" ;D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 01:19:37 pm »

You can do this yourself with a bit of modding. Just look into creating custom workshops and reactions, and you can put together a nice long chain of steps to make crossbows or anything else your heart desires.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:09:29 pm »

Crossbows can be made to function using a trigger that Moves the Holder to allow the bolt to Fire

So No , no , and no

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 04:32:48 pm »

Please don't give the Toad ideas, unless they're ideas that make the game less hard as it is.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 04:34:28 pm »

Please don't give the Toad ideas, unless they're ideas that make the game less hard as it is.
No, Hard does not exist in Dwarf fortress.
ONLY !!!FUN!!! and !!!SCIENCE!!! exist in Dwarf fortress...
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 05:52:15 pm »

This seems like it would be a bit... overcomplicated, more than it needs to be.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »

Actually, it makes sense to me. But maybe just for wooden ones- With metal ones, couldn't you forge the mechanisms out of metal? Logically speaking, anyways.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php

So see how many suggestions there are, yes?
Suggestion #126 is crossbows with mechanisms and more advanced weapons crafting.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

Mechanism in DF are ADVANCED technology that can send binary signals through space, maded out of rocks/metals (maked bashed by dwarven hands/heads and probably teeth)

A crossbow mechanism to retract, is so easy and primitive technology that dwarves make them IN the process of making the entire weapon all in 1 step (the parts, the pieces and even the string are maded in the materials used for the rest of the crossbow)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:19:03 pm by Mechanist »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 09:24:55 pm »

No, Hard does not exist in Dwarf fortress.
ONLY !!!FUN!!! and !!!SCIENCE!!! exist in Dwarf fortress...

!!FUN!! FOR THE !!FUN!! GOD!!! !!SCIENCE!! FOR THE !!SCIENCE!! THRONE!!!

Sorry, that had to be done.

Edit: Fix'd
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »

!!FUN!! FOR THE !!FUN GOD!! !!SCIENCE!! FOR THE !!SCIENCE THRONE!!!

Fix'd

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 12:02:27 am »

Whoa, eggs and booze cooking were both waaaaaaaay lower on the list than fixing crossbows...  Maybe you have a shot at this after all!

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 08:33:34 am »

Additionally, if it is possible to require multiple skills for a task, it would be nice to see bowyer/metalsmith or even bowyer/metalsmith/mechanic skills affecting the ability to produce metal crossbows;  there's an analogous anomaly with metal animal traps.
If you use  mechanisms in crossbow construction, you don't need mechanic skill to affect result. You use mechanism.  Mechanisms have quality levels.
A crossbow mechanism to retract, is so easy and primitive technology that dwarves make them IN the process of making the entire weapon all in 1 step (the parts, the pieces and even the string are maded in the materials used for the rest of the crossbow)
This.
Mechanism in DF are ADVANCED technology that can send binary signals through space, maded out of rocks/metals (maked bashed by dwarven hands/heads and probably teeth)
I, myself, see DF dwarves as combination of TES Dwemers (2 and half metes tall and strong enough to throw a horse half across the map), Arcanum Dwarves (Stone and Shape. Stone have Shape but Shape defines Stone. You puny humans don't comprehend the philosophy of our people) and Warhhammer 40k Adeptus Mechanicus (Techology is holy, you must worship it) and Orcs (subconscious understanding how to make things. Half of those thing only working because they believe it should). So the way mechanisms works feels absolutely natural to me.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.
Pages: [1] 2