Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crossbow construction should require mechanism & forging a dual skill.  (Read 3152 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow construction should require mechanism & forging a dual skill.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

Mechanisms are a little too high for crossbows, especially 1400s crossbows (which is the technology limit Toady has set down); A crossbow isn't that complex; even a heavier crossbow with a very heavy pull is operated simply with a winch attached to a ratchet that pulls back the string, and a trigger that drops the string hold. The strength of the crossbow is based upon the weight of the string, the materials in the prod, and the size of the thing.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 02:00:04 pm »

There's no "mechanism" in even the most complicated crossbow. Even the winch used on some of the bigger ones hardly qualifies. All it is is a lever for the trigger, and (sometimes) a pulley. Neither of which were complex by 1400s standards, or 1400s BC standards for that matter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »

The cross bow has the following tags.
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]

And the bow has these

As such, DF cross bows shoot at the exact same speed as bows. Looking at the [SIZE:300] on the bow, that means would be about three feet long. Anybody here, with there profound understanding of bows (Because honestly, I have never held a bow in my life) know how powerful a three foot bow is? If were talking a weak bow, then it would make sence that cross bows are the weaker veriety that allow you to pull the string back without machenical aid.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 06:22:05 pm »

mechanism + crossbows = sentry guns

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »

mechanism + crossbows = sentry guns

Sounds like traps filled with wooden/bone bolts.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

But imagine aiming at range

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 06:20:22 am »

The cross bow has the following tags.

And the bow has these

As such, DF cross bows shoot at the exact same speed as bows. Looking at the [SIZE:300] on the bow, that means would be about three feet long. Anybody here, with there profound understanding of bows (Because honestly, I have never held a bow in my life) know how powerful a three foot bow is? If were talking a weak bow, then it would make sence that cross bows are the weaker veriety that allow you to pull the string back without machenical aid.

Bow size does not directly define its strength.
a three foot bow can easily be as powerfull as a six foot or sixty six foot one, especially if you recall that it is usually made of metal in df.
the problems with shorter bows are that they deform more than longer ones while being shot, and that that string of a short strong bow will clinch your fingers when you stretch it, but any of these problems can be worked around.
edited out some wrong spelling
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:21:58 am by nanomage »
Pages: 1 [2]