Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: architecture training?  (Read 979 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
architecture training?
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:25:31 am »

What's the best way to train up architecture?  The best I can figure out is setting up a bunch of single-tile bridges then dismantling them.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: architecture training?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 05:27:38 am »

Lock the man in a room with lots of stones. tell him to build supports, then remove the supports, build the supports, remove the supports ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 07:36:05 am »

Lock the man in a room with lots of stones. tell him to build supports, then remove the supports, build the supports, remove the supports ...
Support is a bad idea. Each support give 10 xp. Build bridges instead. 1x1, 1 stone and 30xp.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 02:14:23 pm »

Thanks.  Got a good fort going and decided to raise an architect for the fun of it.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »

Or , you could use a Custom Workshop

Non-hax , Bridges , Bridges , more bridges , even more bridges , BRIDGE SPAM , BRIDGES EVERYWHERE , BRIDGES EVERYGODDAMNWHEREAJSFKDWAIJUIDSYYZHUXICHEWUAUSYDUFGEHIAKJSHDJKZXCNB

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:24:24 pm »

They make pills for that. :P

Another thing that requires architect is building roads. You could build 1-tile long sections of road, and train up an architect while getting something done.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:29:05 pm by AngleWyrm »

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 02:36:34 pm »

I use roads.  1 tile roads.  Because I actually like and use roads, as opposed to superfluous bridges.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Antisthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 05:57:02 pm »

Training architecture? Why? I set every dwarf to have it, then forget about it after the 4th year of the fort. Eventually i end up with 1 dwarf who has some professional architecture.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 05:58:22 pm »

Plus, I'm not sure if architecture level actually does have an influence on the speed of the actual architecturing (sic) process. Does it?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 06:03:34 pm »

The main thing about architecture is that it improves the quality of buildings which use it, and dwarfs get good thoughts from seeing them.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.