Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about hauling and how it effect's jobs  (Read 545 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about hauling and how it effect's jobs
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:51 am »

So if i was to turn of stone hauling on a mason, will he still haul the stone he needs to make IE chair, table.  Or say if for my carpenter if i turn of wood hauling, will he still be able to bring the wood for his crafts.

How about a mason constructing a wall, will he be able to still haul stone even if i have it turned off.

Thank you, this has been bugging me cause i want to free all the time for my legendary's, I mean, sure it'd take only a minute to figure this out for myself but... but... I'm scared!  You know how it is, one wrong move and Urist Mickydee's goes on a killing rampage out of confusion.

Also what about wood cutters, will they haul the wood they chop? I imagine this is a no, cause that makes sense, they cut the tree and leave the wood on the ground for someone who isn't legendary and is at the bottom of the chain to go do.

Are there any weird quirks i should watch out for when it comes to turning off hauling, as in any jobs or labors that are affected by turning off hauling.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:43:58 am by Smackinjuice »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about hauling and if it effects jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:21:55 am »

No, it won't prevent your workers to do their jobs. They simply won't haul the products to the stockpiles (and won't bring furniture in rooms, or animals to the cages), but they will still take the raw materials necessary to their work. The woodcutter will fall tree nonstop and leave them on the ground.

The only quirk I know of is that, when you have no need of their specialty, they will idle nonstop and slob in the feasthall/statue garden/quarters. If that is not a problem to you, I don't see any other problem.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about hauling and if it effects jobs
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 04:43:41 am »

Awsome, so with hauling all turned off, there isn't a single job that will interfere with (other than being lazy and requiring another dwarf to pick up the item and move it to it's proper place).

Also instead of making a new thread I figure i'll ask here, as far as I know with dogs i've learned that

Hunting dog - gains vision, same as a normal dog, can sneak when hunting and will assist hunters
war dog - stronger than normal dog

now if I assign war dog's to my hunters, will they still work fine even though they don't sneak; as in they will still assist my hunters.  Cause honestly i could care less about abushing, i live in untamed wilds but there is nothing out there than i have to worry about.  So far only plus to a hunting dog is puting them in a watch tower for there bonus to sight and spotting sneaky raiders.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about hauling and how it effect's jobs
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 05:01:10 am »

My experience with war dogs protecting a hunter, is that the dogs will chase the prey, making it flee before the hunter can make his shot. Hunters try to get close to the prey before peppering it with bolts, and wardogs are no good for this.