Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cats bringing home their "trophies"  (Read 1748 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Cats bringing home their "trophies"
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:20:56 pm »

I've just noticed that my pet cats seem to be dropping their dead vermin remains next to their dwarves. Or am I just seeing things?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cats bringing home their "trophies"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:22:46 pm »

yep! that's what cats do!  at least in this version they also then take them off to the refuse pile after they've shown them off.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:32:38 pm »

I don't mind telling you, the first time I saw a cat calmly and deliberately carry a dead vermin to the refuse pile, it freaked me the hell out.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 04:42:12 am »

I see you never had a cat claim you as its pet. Imagine walking out the front door, of you home, and having a large snake(deceased) laying on the welcome mat. I love the way Toady coded them

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 05:05:55 am »

yep! that's what cats do!  at least in this version they also then take them off to the refuse pile after they've shown them off.
Huh?
That has never happened to me.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 05:15:33 pm »

Huh?
That has never happened to me.

the opposite happens to me all the time :S
cat kills vermin > cat brings dwarf dead vermin > dwarf brings dead vermin to refuse stockpile > cat brings dead vermin back to dwarf > REPEAT!!!!!

that's why I never bring any cat with me on embark and I only let the migrants pet enter after the migrants have starved to death outside the fortress so I can butcher all their pets :)

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 07:45:33 pm »

I had a cat that would bring home her hunting. Unfortunately, she would bring them home still very much alive. Nothing like having your cat let loose a live mouse in your house. I prefer Toady's DF cats!

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »

You can stop them being careless with their prizes.
Step 1. Dig hole (20ish Z-levels deep)
Step 2. "i" for zone at the top of the hole assign a pit/pond
Step 3. Still in the "i" menu assign all your cats to the pit.
Step 4. Now you cats will kill any vermin they find and deposit the remains in the pit the pit is deep enough for the miasma not to reach the surface.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:35:01 pm »

I had a cat that would bring home her hunting. Unfortunately, she would bring them home still very much alive. Nothing like having your cat let loose a live mouse in your house. I prefer Toady's DF cats!

Yer.  Mine did the same.  Sadly, that's 'cos she's noticed your lousy (for a cat) hunting skills so she's bringing home live prey to teach you the basics.  Just like she would with her kittens.   ;)

Pity my Dorfs don't get hunting experience each time a cat drops off some vermin at their feet...
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 11:45:59 pm »

Yer.  Mine did the same.  Sadly, that's 'cos she's noticed your lousy (for a cat) hunting skills so she's bringing home live prey to teach you the basics.  Just like she would with her kittens.   ;)

Pity my Dorfs don't get hunting experience each time a cat drops off some vermin at their feet...

Eventually she'll get the idea that you have NO IDEA what to do with live prey, so she'll bring you something already dead so you get the idea it's SUPPOSED to die.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 07:10:13 am »

One time i had a dorf in a tunnel of 2/7 water, and his cat followed him in, and caught a trout. i was like, goddamn cool cat, diving into the kneedeep water to fish.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:22:21 am »

I see you never had a cat claim you as its pet. Imagine walking out the front door, of you home, and having a large snake(deceased) laying on the welcome mat. I love the way Toady coded them

Yeah, but real cats don't take their kills to the trash after showing htem off.
Shoes...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 09:50:36 am »

One time i had a dorf in a tunnel of 2/7 water, and his cat followed him in, and caught a trout. i was like, goddamn cool cat, diving into the kneedeep water to fish.
I once brought home some small fish (10-20 cm long or so) that I caught with a fishing pole, and put that in a bowl of water. It started swimming in circles. My dog looked at it, caught it, and ate it :) Oh, and some of my dogs liked to dig up moles from the lawn. Sometimes they even succeeded.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 10:16:37 am »

Step 4. Now you cats will kill any vermin they find and deposit the remains in the pit the pit is deep enough for the miasma not to reach the surface.

I am probably missing something but how can you dig 20 z-levels without condemning your dwarf to a live of certain death?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

I am probably missing something but how can you dig 20 z-levels without condemning your dwarf to a live of certain death?
Dig smart.
Sure, it takes longer to carve stairs, dig channels at stategic locations, and demolish the leftover floors with some helpful supports and levers, but it's either that or the suicidal, dwarven way.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: [1] 2