Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you do with gems?  (Read 1648 times)

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
What do you do with gems?
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »

Apparently, I have 124000+ of black zircon on my map. Is there anything fun I can do with them apart dig-cut-encrust-sell ?
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with gems?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »

Holy shit, that's a lot of zircon.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

youdont12know

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »

Sure. Flood it in magma. Lots of it. And why stop there?
Best thing to do about the blindness pandemic, train a lot of siege operators. Because they can't see enemies, they won't run in panic.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:10:44 pm »

One thing you can do is use it to encrust furniture for nobles who demand quality rooms.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »

Sure. Flood it in magma. Lots of it. And why stop there?

No, flood the Lava with Zirconium

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

I think I can use it to encrust furniture for nobles. Then for workers. Then for haulers. Then encrust everything else that I can encrust. Then encrust bolts. Then export zircon to goblins. Last part is fun. Everything else - not so much. Is there any way to build something from gems? Furniture or maybe constructions?
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:28:46 pm »

Get to the raws.

I would love a mod that lets you make furniture from gems at a jewlers shop

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 05:36:36 pm »

can't you make Windows from gems?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »

I have a dining room, ten Z-levels over the ocean, whose walls are almost entirely made of gem windows.  It's pretty epic.  I'm not sure if the value of the windows actually adds to the value of the room, however, since they're on the edge of the room designation.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 06:29:43 pm »

No, it was made by Chase Bishop.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »

No, it was made by Chase Bishop.

Ba-dum TSHH!

But seriously, black zircon gem windows would do nicely. Not a lot of value, but they'll make pretty viewing chambers for your next engineering marvel of bloody dismemberment.

As for me, I usually let my gems pile up uncut for artifacts, and cut them as necessary, either for building plans or strange moods. If I'm low on valuable trade goods I might encrust a few things. Right now I'm encrusting all of my ammunition with green glass.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »

I like to make a huge gem stockpile and then build a throne in the middle of it.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

Arsenal of adventurer throwing weapons. I use more valuable gems for more dangerous foes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 09:25:24 pm »

In my mod you can make blocks out of gems. I would make gem furniture reactions, but I don't think I'll do that until you can choose objects to use in work orders so I don't have to make a reaction for every type of furniture for every type of gem.
くコ:彡

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 09:34:06 pm »

I always buy every single animal that the elves have to offer when the caravan gets there. Thats why i don't slaughter them, i want them to keep bringing  strange pets until I have a breeding pair of them all! (or at least as many as I can get) after that though i think that you'd want to use your gems to buy the metal bars that you are not mining because of all the gems.
Pages: [1] 2