Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: a bug with an underground farm  (Read 985 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a bug with an underground farm
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

so i've buit that underground farm plot just one level under the surface. but for some reason it thinks that it is above ground and wouldn't let me plant underground plant seeds. it also says there is light there, although i dug no shafts or channels above. thoughts?

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a bug with an underground farm
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

I had this same problem after digging a moat about 2 levels above.  For some reason 2 z levels below the moat now counted as light and above ground.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »

Old news.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

sorry, didn't realize it's a known issue. hope it gets fixed soon or my dwarves will die of starvation. again.  :(

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

Toady said he'd fixed this for the version coming out at the end of the week.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:00 pm »

Good to know

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

Just got version 0.27.169.33f

Built a few subterranean farms with irrigation.  Implemented my clever idea to include runoff canals with floor grates to carry away excess irrigation water.  Planted my plump helmet spawn and everyone got to growing, until halfway through winter, when my fields went fallow.  Now it tells me "No seeds available for this location."

I know there were some problems reported for previous versions, but I thought I'd helpfully mention what I'm seeing.  Have not attempted to plan surface plants in here..

chrominance

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

I skipped over 33e because of this bug, and took my 33d game straight to 33f. I now appear to have a similar problem with my game; one level below the surface, grass is now growing on certain tiles and are marked Inside/Light/Above Ground. One of the tiles on a farm plot is also marked Above Ground (thus leading to the oddity of being able to plant both subterranean and aboveground seeds on it). It appears the problem might have something to do with walls being built on top of surface tiles, as the improper aboveground status only appears on tiles directly below walls on the surface (though not for ALL tiles directly below walls, just some).

I have a save from just before moving from 33d and another save in 33f of the same world.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

It seems that floors no longer block light. Thus you have to build farms two levels down to grow underground plants. Make sure not to dig out the layer of protective dirt above the farm and you should be fine. I kind of like this. The whole building farms without messing with irrigation always seemed to easy to me. Now I have to think again.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »

Not quite, I have a fort with farming on the first underground level.  If there are no constructions on the 0 z-level, the farm tiles on the -1 level work fine as subterranean.  However, if I build a wall on the 0 z-level (on an unchanneled tile), the corresponding -1 tile (subterranean before) becomes labeled as "above ground".  I'm guessing this is a side effect of one of the fixes Toady had to make for 33f.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ikkonoishi:
<STRONG>I kind of like this. The whole building farms without messing with irrigation always seemed to easy to me. Now I have to think again.</STRONG>

I would normally agree, but with loam being on the -1 floor and no water, I'm out of options for underground farming :\

I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Marasmusine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I'm playing 33f_s and having this problem. My underground farm is 2 levels under surface level, with nothing built above it. After irrigation, the farm plots had one successful harvest; the following season I had "no seeds are available" despite having barrels full of plump spawn. Examining the tiles show they are are dark and subterrainian. Removing the farm plots reveal the ground is rocky again, rather than muddy (although is that supposed to happen anyway?)

I encountered a similar problem in the previous version with an outdoor farm. The farm plot had one successful season with strawberries, and then never functioned again.

Right, well, other than that, this is a fantastic, inspirational game, thankyou Tarn and Zach!

UPDATE: I re-irrigated that area back to mud, made new farm plots where the old ones were, and these allow me to plant seeds as normal. Hope that helps diagnose the bug.

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Marasmusine ]

Benny

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Poster
    • View Profile
    • retrojaffa
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

"UPDATE: I re-irrigated that area back to mud, made new farm plots where the old ones were, and these allow me to plant seeds as normal. Hope that helps diagnose the bug."

Yeah I went through the same thing. Wasn't this how previous versions were anyhow? You had to re-irrigate farms every year after winter, only now they don't just disappear?

On this post is an image of Benny in Obsidian. Benny is typing a reply

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

I've had no problems setting up underground farms (in already farmable land - black sand), although I have abused this bug in order to also have "aboveground" underground farms. I built walls on the ground level above the farms I wanted to become aboveground, which made them light and aboveground - and then I removed the walls. The light/abovegroundness remained despite the walls no longer being above them.

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Marasmusine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

>Yeah I went through the same thing. Wasn't this how previous versions were anyhow? You had to re-irrigate farms every year after winter, only now they don't just disappear?

Ah. Yes. That makes sense. In fact I've just tried re-irrigating without removing the farm plots first, and they immediately became available for seeding as the water washed over them.

I presume my outdoor farm became unavailable for seeding for a similar reason; the mud underneath the plot dried up or somesuch.

Pages: [1] 2