Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Island Forum Game: Take 3! Day 2 is beginning!  (Read 21194 times)

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Island Forum Game: Take 3! Game on!
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »

FFS?
Back to Mafia with me!

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2010, 10:57:47 pm »

Good luck getting people to drink their own urine, whether or not it's possible.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2010, 11:02:44 pm »

MAP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inventory
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife looked up from his notes, then broke down laughing. “I'm a gawd-damned record keeper, aren't I? Fuck my life, but that's funny. In my experience, my record keeper would usually eventually become the mayor . . . Interesting.”

A few of the other beachcombers look over, as Strife isn't really talking to anyone in particular. Strife raises his voice and proclaims, “Strife, PFC has mandated the production of 17 adamantine mittens.”

Having a good laugh, Strife returns to worrying about the water supply. “Water is always the first priority in a survival situation. 30 bottles isn't all that much. Hopefully, someone will find a stream or something, or else I'll have to remember how to build a desal plant. Heck if I know any specific plans though. I believe that it's possible to boil water and then have our plate to condense the steam. Slow, but steady as long as someone is getting the wood. A real water source would be much better, but even then, we'll want to boil it. I am not dealing with disentary if I can avoid it. We'll need something to boil water in, probably end up tearing apart the fridge, I guess. Want to keep the food cool as long as possible though. Food poisoning is bad. ”

>Gather tinder and kindling.
>Start a fire (probably via a fire drill, but I might try to switch to lens start from my glasses)
If time permits, try to start smacking together a desal plant.
I'm also going to be asking around, getting a feel for everyone and what their skills are.
I'll also ask if anyone knows much about aloe. I know that it can be used somehow as a burn remedy, and I'm pretty sure that it's edible, but if anyone knows anything specific, that'd be better. I'm taking my in game knowledge seriously.

Questions: How big are the bottles of water? The nice Liter ones usually found on planes? How are the sandwiches and salads prepared? Individually sealed? What kind of salads are they? Salad dressing? Tomatoes? Water tight? I'm going to be taking the water out of the fridge right away then keep the thing closed as much as possible. Try to keep the food from spoiling as much as we can.

How thick is our metal plate? Is it convex enough to serve as a rough bowl? Can it be bent into a bowl? How straight are the med. Sticks? Are they good enough to serve as spear hafts? I assumed that the teeth were fish or shark type, right? Not anything terrestrial?

Can me and Neyvn gain skill in record keeping?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:53 am »

Nah, if the water's cold, it'll stop the temperature of the fridge dropping. You'd probably be better off leaving it in.

Also, FFS- For Fuck's Sake.
Apologies.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:47 am »

If we are on a tropical island near the equator there isn't a summer and a winter, mind you it will get cold, but in Central America, and by extension I assume the rest of tropical places, there's only a dry and rainy season, it stays pretty hot the whole year round.

Oh, I thought I saw someone say something about worrying about cold weather, weird.

I guess I should wait until I get back to give info.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:40:31 am by Kitsunin »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2010, 01:25:18 am »

Japa, Tack, Barbarossa and Kitsunin, I may be mistaken, but it was my assumption that you were heading out as far as possible for one turn, and then returning to base camp. Feel free to divulge info.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:15 am »

Delightful.

Return to Strife and Nevym.

"I've found an area two klicks east of here, and then a few klicks north. It's easy to find your way to, if you track yourself along the mountain. there's a freshwater lake, full of fish, which is fed from a waterfall above a natural cave. There's also a lot of fruit trees and shrubs. I'd like to go with a party, to check it out. It seems like the perfect place to move, but we don't know how deep, or inhabited, that cave is, so I'd like to get some more opinions on the area before we thinking about moving there."
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2010, 01:40:52 am »

The brave and awesome me shall assist any expedition being made to the place Tack found. By which I mean I will be an expert pack mule.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:52:39 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2010, 01:41:34 am »

(( I'm guessing Tack hasn't in-game divulged that info yet?))

(If he has, I'll lend strength to any exploration party that forms).
(If he has not, I'll help Diakron craft tools).

Indeed he has! Hence the quotes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2010, 02:00:47 am »

((Oh, cool, I had read your PM wrong, now I think I understand properly.))

I go to talk to Strife, "Hey, I've read a bit about Aloe Vera, it makes a very good burn remedy, unfortunately it is unknown whether it really works well for other types of injuries.  As far as eating it goes, the gel is fully edible, though I don't think there's enough meat to fill someone, it is pretty wet though, so we could probably eat it to get a bit of moisture as well."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:02 am »

"There's a few people who burn very easily here. It's probably a lot better suited for that. Although if we dug up a few plants, we could move it to the new campsite. There's good black soil there, so it'll probably flourish nicely."

In any case, there's a few choices up. We can ignore the camp site, and just use it for water, or we can move there now, or we can send a team to scout out the place first.

1. Probably the least smart. We're all likely to burn to a crisp on the beach, tanned or no. And the hotter the sun is on us, the faster we get thirsty, and the more water we waste. However, we'd still be close to the wreckage of the plane, so we could probably continue scavenging the longer we stay here.
2. A sound idea, but I recommend against it. I've probably got the lowest Attentiveness out of all of the people here, so I'd at least like to get my scouting report confirmed before we start making decisions based on it. Plus, we don't know what the cave is like, or what is in it.
3. My idea, so of course I'm going to talk it up. However, it has the disadvantage of wasting a part of a day. However, following no. 2 means that everyone would be trying to move items and a damn fridge on a mad scurry through the jungle. If we send a team, first, we can make some more permanent marks on the trees and ground around the area, something I should've done on hindsight- so we can find our way there when we move the camp. The only thing worse than getting lost in a forbidding tropical forest, is getting lost in a forbidding tropical forest while trying to carry a fridge.

In any case, that's my submission put forward.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2010, 02:56:34 am »

Japa, Tack, Barbarossa and Kitsunin, I may be mistaken, but it was my assumption that you were heading out as far as possible for one turn, and then returning to base camp. Feel free to divulge info.

well, when that one turn ended, I saw something way cool, so I chose to check that out rather than return to camp.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2010, 03:44:05 am »

Well, here's what I saw.
Quote from: Paraphrased because I don't want to leave out any details from the PM
I disappear down the beach, and then take off like a shot. The beach winds its way south for about 1 1/2km. The beach winds its way back to the west, and then northwest, wrapping itself around grasslands. About 2km from where I started, I pass a cluster of tall trees to your northeast, and I see another almost due north. To my southwest, I see a large cluster of sharp, jagged black rocks sticking out of the ocean like demonic teeth. I continue on to the northwest. The beach winds northwest for almost 3km, then turns almost due north. After another km or so, I turn my head inland to see a large cluster of trees surrounding a mammoth tree, something like 40 feet tall and extremely big around. The beach continues northeast for about 1 1/2km, and the plain between the big tree and the next bend is almost featureless. The beach turns itself again back to the north/northwest, and I begin to pass many clusters of trees: more than I saw previously. At this point, I see a plume of black smoke rising from the beach north of you. I run 3km towards it, and I am shocked by what I find.

(Actual text here for conservation of detail) "Ten or so blackened shells of huts litter the beach, and there are bodies strewn about, most of them burned beyond recognition. It looks as though this place used to have a dock, but it is now only a few blackened poles sticking out of the water. As you are looking around, you come across a body that you actually recognize as human. He was very, very dark skinned, seemed to be about 60 or older, and dressed in tribal clothes, mostly made of animal hides. His face and bald head are painted white, in the visage of a skull. His chest has three holes punctured completely through it, all of them cauterized shut."

Behind this village I find a small garden/farm area, pick some nuts and berries from it to fill my pockets, and I run back.

"Bad news. Terrifying news, actually. We have company. I found a village near the coast about 6 and a quarter miles from here. (10km) The whole thing looked like it was incinerated, including the people. The people looked like tribal Africans, with face paint like skulls. There was one of them, though, that was different. Instead of being merely burned alive, he had three holes melted right through his torso. I got out of there as fast as I could."

>This is probably the best time for my resting period of the day, having just run twelve and a half miles.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2010, 04:32:27 am »

Hey now, Paraphrasing is a bit like cheating. To be honest, I didn't look at my PM more than twice, so that any details I omitted were because of my own personal inattentiveness.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:50 am »

"Well, I think we should move inland as soon as possible. There is obviously hostiles on this islands and they're going to check the plane crash site soon.

We should all moove as a group, to be able to deal with any threat. We can come back here later on to see if anything new as been washed ashore."

Using the sticks and some torn clothing, I'll make a couple of stretchers to carry the fridge and the useful stuff (scrap of metal, teeth, not the rocks).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31