Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Island Forum Game: Take 3! Day 2 is beginning!  (Read 21217 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Island Forum Game: Take 3!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 08:39:36 am »

Just so everyone knows, Inventory is just a placeholder for now. It should be empty.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 09:27:51 am »

I'm in... but... that character sheet is something I'll probably get to you tomorrow.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »

I shall play, but I'll have to give a warning that my internet access is going to return to spottiness after the second. Sadly. In the near term, I figure that the forum's resident paranoid survivalist/ soldier would be a good person to have, no?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd ask for a perk because I'm a trained(ish) combat lifesaver, but it looks like we've already got one. Meh.

And as a note, the Island series aren't really the first attempt at something like this. See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38785.0 and the difficult-to-find thread about the Colony Experiment in GD for an attempt from July 2009. Of course, I ran that last attempt (and it died pitifully), so I've got high expectations for this one . . .

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

Not sure how well the skills fit.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:37:00 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 08:29:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:32:32 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »

Height/Weight: 5' 4"/ 120lbs
Build: Stocky

And as a note, the Island series aren't really the first attempt at something like this...

A) Apparently, our definition of stocky is very different.
B) You get to make up your own perk. Just make it balance with your handicap. Or give me an idea, and I'll do it.
C) I know it's not the only one. I happen to be part of "You Are All Kobolds", which is a lot like this, but with more Kobolds and less...aeronautical issues.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »

I'm a little tired of filling out character sheets, but what's one more really.

Spoiler: Stuffs (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 12:26:37 am »

Yeah, I had the same apathy towards it, Santazzar.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 12:28:16 am »

Character sheet mostly finished: HERE.

Rocketry counts for explosives, right? Also, do languages count for skills? I figure that if they do, I don't know enough to communicate very well anyway. I'll PM you my individual bonus/handicap ideas if I have any. I just hope that this island needs someone who knows a lot, runs kinda well, but fails horribly at most 'real world' (island) situations. Who knows, maybe my memorization of the surface of the Earth will help us get to our respective homes from wherever we are in the ocean.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 12:29:09 am »

We'll see who's apathetic when I post the intro. Which I will be writing as soon as I change out the laundry. Then, I'm going to bed.

Edit for Barbar: Rocketry can either be Explosives, or Engineering. Your call on how you use it. Languages do count for skills. You can either put multiple points in one language (I'd figure two or three to be total non-native fluency,) or one each in a bunch of languages, (like I would imagine Vector doing.)

As for your bonus/handicap, I suggest this: Bonus: Takes no Stamina penalty from exploring flat/low hill terrain. Handicap: All Failed rolls go horribly wrong, due to inexperience/age.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:35:29 am by MaximumZero »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 01:02:13 am »

I'm not sure about the applicability of the penalty, but it's balanced enough. As far as 16-year-olds go, I'm fairly mature. Dealing with college administrators and such does that to one. Still, I can see where a lack of experience in 'real world' applications could ruin some things.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:39:36 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 01:47:35 am »

Surprisingly enough, I *am* relatively stocky. Heck if it should go with my weight, but it does.

Proposed perk/ weakness

Optimistic insanity: Automatically passes (or gets a bonus to) any mental health rolls.
Drowsiness: Prone to erratic action when first waking up (penalty to any rolls)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 01:52:52 am »

Insane Optimism will net you a bonus in: Taking Fatigue (mental health) damage, Drive and Leadership. (No autopasses, though.) If used at an inappropriate time, it may net you a penalty to Charm.

There are only 4 rolls a day, so I'd assume that you'd be fully awake by the time you made your action. Anything else you can think of?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 02:09:20 am »

That sounds good, but I'd rather it be optimistic insanity, rather than the inverse. I'm having a lot of trouble of thinking of a good flaw for myself. I've got lots of little ones, but few nicely encompassing ones that make for good rules . . . Give me a minute, I'm off to TV tropes to look for one.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 02:34:26 am »

Maybe in the 'early morning' section of the day you get a penalty on all rolls for being tired?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31