Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Island Forum Game: Take 3! Day 2 is beginning!  (Read 21215 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Island Forum Game: Take 3! Game on!
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2010, 10:48:46 pm »

Scratch that previous action.

>Scout around the beach as much as I can during the morning. Report my findings to whoever is making a map. If nobody else makes one, I guess I'll make one next round.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2010, 10:55:05 pm »

For me, specifically forage for edible plants, in what I assume would be the forest next to the beach, basically just staying within visible distance of it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:59:12 pm by Kitsunin »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 11:15:05 pm »

I'm going the same. Look for edible plants, and sources of clean water.

If I find any berries or anything, make a shirt-sack and bring as many as possible back to camp.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:39 pm »

Scratch that previous action.

>Scout around the beach as much as I can during the morning. Report my findings to whoever is making a map. If nobody else makes one, I guess I'll make one next round.

Which way, east, or west?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »

I'm going north. Inland. I'd also like to set some signs so I can see my way back. Do I have the skill for that?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »

You've got about 2 1/2 football/soccer fields of nothing but tall grass and gently rolling hills between you and the tree line.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »

So, we're on a desert island, presumably tropical (Unless it's a tundra or volcanic?  That would be new, and I can't find examples of temperate or arid islands)
Usually islands either go from beach to forest or beach to cliff, fields near the beach is something I've not heard of, nor seen, I think it's possible though, albeit rare, so I won't argue...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:10:25 am by Kitsunin »

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2010, 12:00:50 am »

MaxZero, where was the plane heading to? For that matter, where was it heading from?
[/post]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:31 am »

I'm guessing that most edibles would be inside the forest, though.

If someone else has good attentiveness, maybe they could come with me?
Anyone up for a scouting run?

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:54 am »

Just, never mind, I'm being pointless.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:27:22 am by Kitsunin »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:50 am »

We're just on 'An Island'. I'm sure he's read up on his stuff.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

It appears to be a tropical Island right...
And an Island is and Island. One of the first few things is to chose a direction of the beach and head out in that direaction for half the day, if there are people you are with, you retrace yoursteps back for the other half of the day, while you travel you try and assitaine three things.

1: How big is this Island, does it wrap around to meet itself, is it a full beach island (can't remember proper name, prob something like Reef Island) this is to say that it has beach on all sides of the island, never rising into cliff faces or such. If it does have cliff faces naturally you don't climb it and just return back to 'home' and report findings.

2: Discover if there is anything useful along the coast line, such as Palm Trees or Fruit Trees that grow along the side, if there is any kind of certain wood that can easily be cut/collected but still remains strong. And if there is any other resources, not as in Iron or Coal or anything like that, but things like flint or such where simple scavenging off these resources can bring forth different results.

and finally

3: If the Island is not a Reef Island, where does it show its highest area, where are there rivers leading to the ocean from the middle of the area and if there is any clearing or open stretches of land between the beach and the inland.

This can be done by two people, one heading one direction the other the other. Naturally.
The rest should be busy collecting large branches and leaves and anything that could be scavenged from any remains of the aircraft if it exists (can't remember after all this writing) and begin to construct a shelter near the edge of the beach, it is unknown how high the tied rises, to know you could look to the edge of the beach and see if the soil appears to erode away, if there are signs of that, the tide covers the WHOLE beach, and anything built of left on the sand will be lost in the night. Constructing a Shelter should be done a few meters in from the soil/beach joint and in a mostly large open space or against some stones if there are any. The first night day is mainly this...

Constructing Night Shelter,
Scouting along the beach. Traveling into the Island this early can lead to being lost really quickly. Most important thing to be looking for is something like a river or a simple spring.
Collecting simple food, such as Nuts and/or fruit from the nearby foliage. Any chances of meat or fish being collected this early is too much to regard...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2010, 12:29:38 am »

And don't forget, a lot of desert islands don't have any sources of fresh water without digging a well!  Unless we are lucky and find a spring.

Most important thing is probably water, if a cooler washed up we have very temporary food resources.

((Oh, and I don't think it's a full beach island, if it were we would all undoubtedly die of starvation))
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:33:19 am by Kitsunin »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2010, 12:48:41 am »

Look for any body of water with reeds and such. If found, work on filters, using sand and cloth torn from my clothing, and (depending on how actiony each turn can be) try and get something to store the water in.

((I'm also sort of assuming we aren't going to pull the crap they do in any sort of survival fiction. You know, where they waste days of resources doing nothing because obviously someone is going to find a ridiculously tiny island in the midst of the sea, and just sort of swoop down and make sure there aren't people)).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:52:34 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:04 am »

West.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31