Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Little things that brighten your DF day [2]  (Read 9518 times)

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that brighten your DF day [2]
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:42 am »

During the first winter my armorer went secretive and produced an iron shoe. I now have a legendary +5 armorer and acces to a fairly large quantity of adamantine. Hell of a way to start my first go with the fortress defense mod.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:31 am »

Whenever war prisoners thrown from the execution tower reach the spikes pit and explode into ludicrous gibs, sometimes ending up on structures way above the ground.  :D
Also, gentlemanly glove-slapping fights.
That's a good idea. Not sure what to do now, use my captured goblins for target practice + drowning or throwing them to bits. HMm. My Marksdwarfs could use practice.
As an added bonus, from what I've understood, that's one of the only way to get goblin bone thanks to the numerous body parts, because of that, I got a few artifacts encrusted with goblin bone.  ;D
Make sure the fall is around 10 z-levels high or so, and cover the landing ground with spikes to lower the odds of survival.

@Magentawolf: ... the 614th destruction of Beachstoker?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:40 am »

When the goblins walk into my line 'o' cage traps, that always brightens my day. that, and when a caravan arrives.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:06 am »

As an added bonus, from what I've understood, that's one of the only way to get goblin bone thanks to the numerous body parts, because of that, I got a few artifacts encrusted with goblin bone.  ;D
Make sure the fall is around 10 z-levels high or so, and cover the landing ground with spikes to lower the odds of survival.
Really? I've never splattered any goblin, but I'm sure I've had goblin bone bolts. I think you can use bone from rotten goblins.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 11:25:57 am »

Really? I've never splattered any goblin, but I'm sure I've had goblin bone bolts. I think you can use bone from rotten goblins.
Huh... seems there's an ongoing debate on the matter. Some people still appear to be surprised whenever I mention goblin bone bolts, others are studying what is it exactly that allows a sentient's bones to be usable, and some others struggle because of the hordes of useless rotten corpses around. *shrugs* All I know is that I've always had execution towers like that, and that it appears to be a good way to get... err... more bones.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 12:10:31 pm »

@Magentawolf: ... the 614th destruction of Beachstoker?

It's probably a yearly tradition by now! I need to check that out in Legends mode..

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »

when i got 6 masterpiece engravings in a row :)

EDIT: 12 masterpiece engravings now! 11 of them from the same dwarf
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:36:36 pm by Iados »

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 04:08:42 pm »

Zefron, My badass dwarf champion with hundreds of kills to his name. He hits an object with his steel pick once and it just flies off into space. Nothing is as amusing as a dwarf decapitating dragons with a pick.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »

Since there are so many moments of evisceration, let's add one more moment of heartwarming.

Eshtan Tosidalzat starts tantrumming due to her mother and father and baby brother and several friends dying to a forgotten beast. She tantrums less and less, and when I look at why, it seems that her younger sister has been talking to her in between the destruction.

She then gets put in jail when a semblance of order is restored, but a day before being let out, she gets elected as mayor.

The stories this game can tell are ridiculous.

Barakahzai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »

I just love it when my dwarves get medieval on goblins with warhammers. It's like playing pinball.

Also, on a related note: how in the world do you check combat reports? (I'm still pretty new at DF)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 07:50:51 pm »

When the elves first come about, and they have something large, dangerous, and already tame enough to chain up outside.

And their screams when the crossbow bolts start flying.

EDIT: "An animal has become a war Giant Leopard." :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:21:06 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

Press [R] to open up the reports list.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »

Lock a door that a pet or dwarf is going to head through.  They run into it and fall over.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:20 am »

Haha, nice! That really made me laugh because of how silly it is. WHEN do you lock it, though?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:33 am »

My badass three-legged attack bear, who has more kills than anyone in my army. I built him a Royal Tomb.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6