Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Little things that brighten your DF day [2]  (Read 9512 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Little things that brighten your DF day [2]
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:46:02 am »

Put here something you want to share with others, but not important enough to make new post.

Imagine how heads-or-tails game would look like.

-Urist, circle or dyin' elves?
- ELVES!!
*toss*
- Nope, circle, you lose. Olin, circle or dyin' elves?
- ELVES!!!
*toss*
- Yep, elves, you won
- Etur, circle or.. oh, nevermind *toss* you won.

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that brighten your DF day [2]
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:54:48 am »

when the elves show up laden to the brim with exotic animals. namely bears and giant scorpions.

and they leave laden up to the brim laden with nothing :>

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:56:59 am »

You let them leave at all?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:15:18 am »

well i could kill five of them, or let them leave to spread word of my atrocities and bring back fifty more : >

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:20:31 am »

I love the various personality types. There's the gladhanding social butterfly that winds up as mayor, the weird loner who goes off to a forgotten place and hangs out, the workaholics and the lazy ones.

I love the whole texture of dwarven society.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 05:23:44 am »

i love the variances of flight angles a group of dwarfes, gobbos or elves can launch off a bridgapult -system into open air to hit the far ground in a wide cluster angle :)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:46:11 am »

This is from Deon's Genesis mod so I don't think these mechanics are possible in vanilla, but still, made me laugh when I found one.  My dwarves are obsessed with this balor as well, he's all over my fort killing orcs and elvs.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 05:51:44 am »

This is from Deon's Genesis mod so I don't think these mechanics are possible in vanilla, but still, made me laugh when I found one.  My dwarves are obsessed with this balor as well, he's all over my fort killing orcs and elvs.

haha this is a masterpiece yet so disturbing :) jackass in DF

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 06:11:13 am »

Hell, it's brilliant!
Truly "The Brilliance of Squeezing"   :D :D :D
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 07:13:44 am »

"Nizdast Lur, the Ignorance of Hating

Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of Sibrek Goalgirder the dwarf and Nunur Holeurn the Hollow Beach the forgotten beast by Morul Mebzuthatis. Nunur Holeurn the Hollow Beach is striking down Sibrek Goalgirder. The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Sibrek Goalgirder by the forgotten beast Nunur Holeurn the Hollow Beach with a pig tail fiber mitten in Windslap in the late autumn of 264 during The Rampage of the forgotten beast Nunur Holeurn the Hollow Beach in Windslap.
"

So facepalm-worthy. But it is so ridiculous I can't help but smile. Plus, hey! I killed that monster afterwards! I love this game so much.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 07:39:08 am »

I'm offended! this means DUEL! *slaps his face with mitten*

That reminds me of Robin Hood: Men in Tights scene, when robin slapped sheriff with iron gauntlet

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 07:49:12 am »

Finding out one of my miners, Kubuk Geshuddurad is named 'Fortressbearded.' Kick ass.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

welkyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:49 am »

I had a similar episode to that mitten-armed Forgotten Beast, once: a minotaur attacked my fortress, so I pulled all of my civilians underground and sent my militia to kill it.  However, before they could even reach the minotaur, it was chasing a peasant around the map.  I already had too many Dwarves, and had taken to simply executing new useless migrants, so I kept my military back while the minotaur pulled the Peasant to shreds - at least, that's what I thought would happen.  An entire season later, I wondered "what's happened to that minotaur and the peasant?".  I scoured the map, and eventually found them.  The peasant was unconscious.  The minotaur was next to him.  I looked at the combat logs.

89 pages of "The minotaur strikes the peasant in the head with the pig-tail fibre sock, bruising the tissue", and similar.  The peasant only had one sock on.

Edit: also, first post.  Hi all!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56:44 am »

I had a similar episode to that mitten-armed Forgotten Beast, once: a minotaur attacked my fortress, so I pulled all of my civilians underground and sent my militia to kill it.  However, before they could even reach the minotaur, it was chasing a peasant around the map.  I already had too many Dwarves, and had taken to simply executing new useless migrants, so I kept my military back while the minotaur pulled the Peasant to shreds - at least, that's what I thought would happen.  An entire season later, I wondered "what's happened to that minotaur and the peasant?".  I scoured the map, and eventually found them.  The peasant was unconscious.  The minotaur was next to him.  I looked at the combat logs.

89 pages of "The minotaur strikes the peasant in the head with the pig-tail fibre sock, bruising the tissue", and similar.  The peasant only had one sock on.

Edit: also, first post.  Hi all!
Reminds me of this: http://vimeo.com/8332779

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

this happened in one of my forts:

They'd been getting sieged by elves since day one, since the parent civ was at war with them (ten years later, and the elves are STILL at it, I might add).  One of my wrestlers was badly injured, one of his friends died, etc. so he was having hissy fits while bedridden. 

Eventually one of the fortress kittens went into his room.  The tantrums gradually slowed, then ceased all together. I get a message:

Urist McKitty has adopted Urist McTantrumdude, Wrestler.

I imagine here's this dwarf, he's pissed because he's on bedrest, lost his friends, etc. And this little kitten goes in and sits at the foot of his bed, and makes him feel better and just purrs instead of running away when the dwarf tantrums.

Eventually, I get a message about Urist McKitty, who is now UristMcOldCat:

UristMcOldCat has died of old age :(
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6