Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: holy crap its been a long time  (Read 1327 times)

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
holy crap its been a long time
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

So the last version I actually played was 28.181.40d9.  The only things I can remember from the wishlist of updates was to make dwarfs not get stuck while helping injured dwarfs, and possibly using ropes to go down z-levels.  Can anyone fill me in on what has changed since then?  I've missed 3 major updates and countless small ones.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: holy crap its been a long time
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:29 pm »

Fort Mode:
New underground features; all sites have food, water and trees. UNDERGROUND! Oh, and magma.
HFS was re-done completely
Titans were re-done, they are now randomly generated creatures.
New hospital system.
Military was reduced to scrap and re-made.
Magma pipes, underground rivers, bottomless pits, chasms and magma pools no longer exist in certain places.
Many, many more magma-safe stones.
A few creatures were removed and a bunch were added.
Adventure Mode:
Bandits
Human towns are replaced with hamlets
Due to a bug, mountainhomes, forest retreats and dark towers don't physically exist.
You can select how powerful you are, you can be a Peasant, Hero or Demigod.
You can put points in attributes.
Human Fortresses exist, castles full of soldiers basically.
General:
Combat and organic matter was re-done, there are now fats, nerves, cartilage, all sorts of stuff.
Weapons can now be completely blocked if they are of inferior metals than what they are attacking (I.E, Copper sword vs. Steel Armor)
Features, viewing descriptions of people shows what their skin color is, how their nose, hair, body, and other unique features look.
A bunch more attributes, and how they work is different.

And probably other stuff I can't remember.

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:10 pm »

I do remember tissues were being reworked.  And that descriptions were going to be more descriptive.  I'll leave the HFS alone so as to not have spoilers in the thread.  What do you mean the military was re-made?  Is there a certain devlog/wiki page I should look at?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:11 pm »

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »

I do remember tissues were being reworked.  And that descriptions were going to be more descriptive.  I'll leave the HFS alone so as to not have spoilers in the thread.  What do you mean the military was re-made?  Is there a certain devlog/wiki page I should look at?
Basically, you can make a schedule for your soldiers. So you could have them, for example train half a year, then patrol around the fortress for 2, guard the meeting hall for 3 and then train again for 1 until the year changes. You can make them wear specific clothes/armor too, so you could have a fortress guard wearing a full set of midnight blue clothing and wear some steel armor on top of it.

Also, more features for fort mode:
Burrows, basically "all dwarves stay inside" except you can designate where they run to.
The barracks was split, so now you have a dormitory and barracks. Soldiers sleep/train in the barracks (if you tell them to) and civilians sleep in the dormitory.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

Dwarf fortress used to be... 2D?  :o

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:20 pm »

Magma pipes still exist. You just can't see them from the embark screen except for volcanos.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:53:00 pm »

The history link doesn't really help.  I was playing during the 3d version so I know most of that already.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »

Not only was it 2D, but you could flood the entire map with magma without a thought for your FPS.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:01:45 pm »

If you take a look at Boatmurdered's layout, it's a clusterfuck of rooms layed out on the same z-level.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:05 pm »

Basically, you can make a schedule for your soldiers. So you could have them, for example train half a year, then patrol around the fortress for 2, guard the meeting hall for 3 and then train again for 1 until the year changes. You can make them wear specific clothes/armor too, so you could have a fortress guard wearing a full set of midnight blue clothing and wear some steel armor on top of it.

True, although in practice the new military screen has a learning curve about as steep as the rest of the game put together. Once you get used to it, its fine (if clunky), but it will take a while for that to happen.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »

Not only was it 2D, but you could flood the entire map with magma without a thought for your FPS.
And if you made a mistake with your floodgates, you could set up perpetual waves back and forth across the outside

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 09:56:13 pm »

Is there anything similar to the grid option that was in the ini previously?  Or am I just stuck with a tiny screen now?
Pages: [1] 2