Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hilarity ensues.  (Read 1430 times)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hilarity ensues.
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

A couple of funny thing happened today.

While scrolling down the cave river I noticed a small purple "z" down by one of the waterfalls. This was notable because I'd simply bridged across the river branch instead of mining around it, nothing from my fort could reach that paticular open square. I skimmed over to check it out and found...

code:

cave spider silk web
rotten fairy corpse
limestone cavern floor

Well, fairys are flying vermin.

The defenses around my fortress entrance have the unfotunate side effect of channeling all the wildlife on the map there too, thus making a hall of traps nessicary. This is fine by me, I'm planning on seeing if a tame herd of unicorns can take the pit demons. But  the first row of traps isn't the cage traps, it's triple *obsidian sword* weapon traps. At one point they decapitated a warthog and sent the head flying. The head flew across the trade depot, through an open door with a dwarf passing through it, across another line of traps, and landed on my drawbridge some seven squares away from the killer trap. And I couldn't find the rest of the warthog. Just the head, and lots of blood splatter.

This is such a great game.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarity ensues.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:38:00 pm »

That is awesome.

Think the cave spider killed it? Or did it just die because it was stuck.

Jandrews

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

By the way, you can't tame unicorns unless you hack the game files.

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »

Please don't refer to it as such. It is "not" hacking the game files. The term you're looking for is modding (You'll note that the readme grants express permission to modify any/all of the Raw files), and the question of Modded versions of DF is not "if" but "when."

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Shingo ]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:35:00 am »

I think hacking fits, actually.. as you are basically writing up new creatures using set definitions, similar to programming some code, which is the definition of hacking.  Since it isn't a tremendous job for small changes like the one mentioned, I think "hacks" is quite an appropriate term.  As opposed to the ten thousand different ways that 'hack' is not used correctly.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:02:00 am »

Er... no. "Hacking", as the verb applies to a program, is the act of changing the way a program executes without permission, in order to cause the program to malfunction in a way that benefits the hacker. Since changing the text files in the raw folder is specifically allowed, we cannot, by definition, be hacking the game by changing them.

Now, if you were to modify the executable or the packed data files in any way, that would be hacking.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »

Stop the discussion on what constitutes hacking immediatly.  It belongs in a different thread, and it won't be productive.

Good luck with the unicorns though.  You don't even need to tame them, but it would make it lot easier.

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 06:12:00 am »

The defenses around my fortress entrance have the unfotunate side effect of channeling all the wildlife on the map there too, thus making a hall of traps nessicary. This is fine by me, I'm planning on seeing if a tame herd of unicorns can take the pit demons. But the first row of traps isn't the cage traps, it's triple *obsidian sword* weapon traps. At one point they decapitated a warthog and sent the head flying. The head flew across the trade depot, through an open door with a dwarf passing through it, across another line of traps, and landed on my drawbridge some seven squares away from the killer trap. And I couldn't find the rest of the warthog. Just the head, and lots of blood splatter.

XFD

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.