Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marksdwarves any better in .18?  (Read 1502 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves any better in .18?
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:27:28 pm »

I gave up on marksdwarves a while back, but I'd like to give them another try for this version.  Do you have any tips on how to keep them from charging headlong into battle when out of bolts?  Would locking them into archery towers with stacks of ammo work?  Or will they just expend the bolts in their quivers and then press themselves against the fortifications madly in an attempt to crossbow-bash the enemies who are out of reach?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves any better in .18?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:44:07 pm »

Archery towers combined with burrows and "Defend Burrow orders usually keep them in there. However, I've seen tell of a bug concerning bolts where any bolts that have been removed from the workshop in which they were created are ignored by marksdwarves, which I have seen happening as my marksdwarves all insist on loading up from the craftsdwarf workshop where my broker pumps out masterwork bone bolts instead of the silver or iron bolts I have all over the place in stockpiles.

I believe one person said having the workshop in the archer tower was something of a "fix".
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:52:13 pm »

Well, I did a bit of work with mine, and they do well. No charging in unless I give a stupid order, they fire all bolts first. Of course, I also equip them with full steel armor, so in a fight they don't die easily.

Also, I did a bit of RAW editting, so instead of crossbow bashers, they have bayonettes for the stabbing. I've had more dwarves become Spearmasters then Crossbow-Dwarves in my marksdwarf squad. 4 of them in a squad, but only rushing in after they kill stuff from afar first. Beautiful. I was going to make adamantine crossbows for them too, but a tantrum spiral took out the fort (a single stupid marksdwarf who died in the fighting caused it, although he killed 4 goblins before their pike-master, elite bowman, and elite crossbowman said hi.)

I had captured a dozen goblins and a half dozen trolls too...

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »

I believe one person said having the workshop in the archer tower was something of a "fix".

Urist McAmmomaker:

Doo doo doo doo! Makin' lotsa bolts. Hmm I wonder why we were assigned to burrow 5. There is a huge order for bolts. Doo do- oh my. Oh crap Hoo-mans! They're at the gates, come on I need to make-- AHHH must cancel activity I have been interrupted by a Human Spearmaster!! Oh dear/accursed <insert deity> help me! My leg, it has been victim to a firm lodging of a bronze bolt in my upper leg! Oh god, got to make... AAAUUUGHH that stung, good thing my pond grabber leather hood deflected that however I am now stunned. I have gotten up, but now I have given into pain, I have fallen down. I have gotten up again, I need to... *vomit* vomit. I am giving into pain agai- AAHHH another bolt has lodged firmly in my fake upper rib tearing a tendon and a sensory nerve. I have given into p----.

*still unconscious* I am receiving more firm lodgings, of bolts, in my eyes and head. More motor nerves dying, tendons torn... I have bled to death. *Urist McAmmomaker has bled to death*
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:55:31 pm »

Also, they tend to use bolts designated for combat when training as well. The workaround for this is to designate a pile of metal bolts along with the training ones, but disable combat AND training with them until you're actually ready for them to fight.

I.e, my ammo list for each squad looks like:

Iron Bolts (100)
Bone Bolts (200) CT
Wooden Bolts (200) CT

So they'll prioritise the iron bolts if available, then bone, then wood. Its annoying having to turn their "real" bolts on and off, but much less annoying than discovering your rookies have just chewed through a pile of steel bolts when training.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »

I think the deal behind the "Dwarves using combat-enabled bolts for training" bug is that they'll carry any bolts that are assigned for either task, and they'll train with whatever ammo they have on them, which includes the combat ones.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »

So just so I have this down correctly, when I'm ready to fight:

Iron Bolts (100)
Bone Bolts (200) CT
Wooden Bolts (200) CT

Becomes:

Iron Bolts (100) CT
Bone Bolts (200) CT
Wooden Bolts (200) CT
?

Also, for the workshop in the archery tower, can't I just have it on the non-fortified floor underneath the actual fortification floor where the archers are stationed?  With walls on all sides and just a stair connecting them, the craftsdwarf should be able to craft in peace even in the middle of a siege, right?

Thanks for the help guys!  I'm really trying to get a military up and running that utilizes all the weapons available to dwarves according to each dwarf's personal preference... except for maces.  I hate maces.  Anyone who likes maces is forced to train as a hammerdwarf instead!

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »

So just so I have this down correctly, when I'm ready to fight:

Iron Bolts (100)
Bone Bolts (200) CT
Wooden Bolts (200) CT

Becomes:

Iron Bolts (100) CT
Bone Bolts (200) CT
Wooden Bolts (200) CT
?

you don't need the T on the iron bolts, just the C.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:53:59 pm »

Oh, right! Duh :).

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »

Instead of bothering with the ammunitions screen heres what I do.
Make a bunch of metal bolts and a bunch of bone/wooden bolts.
Forbid all the metal bolts when dwarfs are training.
When a vile force of darkness arrives, un-forbid the metal bolts and forbid the bone/wood ones.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:33:56 am »

I too don't bother with the ammo screen since it is buggy right now; once it's fix then sweet.  until then I just have a ammo stockpile next to the training grounds that only takes in the ammo i want them to train with.  Then i have a burrow called training, which i know is for my archers.  put some food and alcohol with them, maybe there whole barracks and bed while at it.

works flawlessly...

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 01:46:13 am »

With .18 their rate of fire has dropped abysmally.

I don't use them  anymore.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:04:32 am »

With .18 their rate of fire has dropped abysmally.

I don't use them  anymore.
Drat!  I recently got an artifact crossbow :(!  Has the rate of fire for enemies dropped by the same amount at least?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 02:07:10 am »

Dunno. haven't had a crossbow squad of goblins actually stay on the map long enough for me to see. go check in arena mode I guess.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:43 am »

I stopped using them after 20 minutes of trying to get them to train.
Fuck it i'd prefer legendary speardwarf's anyway :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.
Pages: [1] 2