Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labor problem  (Read 578 times)

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Labor problem
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:26 am »

I've recently started to learn how to play dwarf fortress, have watched multiple tutorials and figured out quite a bit of things. Now i've struck a problem which i cant seem to solve on my own and would need some advice. The problem concerns about Labor, i have some miners, woodcutters, farmers etc. But when i build a new building that needs something that i currently dont have people proficient at. How can i educate someone for that?

The current problem is that i'm trying to farm, but i need Potash, and i tried to build Ashery, but it says that i need Potash maker or Lye maker, and i dont have either. I tried finding a dwarf, farmer, u --> farmer --> c --> l --> and here i have the list of labors, Mining, Woodworking etc etc. pressing enter enables or disables the selected profession, but i cant shuffle between the labors, when i press key arrows for up and down it moves the X on the map, and not on the labor list.

So pls can anyone help me?

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labor problem
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:10:08 am »

Try - and + signs! They're used for the "secondary" navigation.

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13:29 am »

Argh, that solves it, and so easy. Or atleast now i enabled the profession there. Thank you.

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:16:21 am »

But another question, it reads in the help that Potash is not "required" for farming, just improves it, but it says to me when i try to farm that it's cancelled because i dont have potash.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:47 am »

try turning off fertilizer and Seas Fert
it's basically useless right now
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:21:11 am »

But another question, it reads in the help that Potash is not "required" for farming, just improves it, but it says to me when i try to farm that it's cancelled because i dont have potash.
Your farmer will just be cancelling the spread potash task, he will still carry out the planting task.

If you press t and put the cursor over the farm plot you will see what's in the building - you should be able to see the seeds that have been planted or the plants that have grown.