Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Military equipment  (Read 835 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Military equipment
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »

I realize this is probably asked fairly often, but I found nothing on the first pages. Plus, the search bar gives me absolutely nothing. Even when I type in Dwarf, fun or magma.

My problems :

I made a leather militia a while ago. My metal industry was quite lacking and I had to gear them up with something. Now I have enough bronze equipment for everybody. I changed their uniform, but they'd rather wear leather cloaks instead of bronze breastplates. I tried forbidding every piece of clothing in the fortress but they still don't want to drop them.

Second question, about my second squad. I have 4 marksdwarves. I assigned them so 2 would be training, and 2 would be hunting. Problem is, they never train. They only hang around in the meeting hall as soldier. I did make a barrack and some shooting range, and they do have the necessary equipment. The archers not on duty also sometimes do not hunt, even if they have no other assigned jobs, all the needed equipment and plenty of animals to kill.

3rd and a fast one, What is better : A silver war hammer or an artifact bronze one?

Thanks in advance. I'm still not very experienced. Just had a squaddie get swarmed by troglodytes and punched to death ._.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About Military equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »

1) they may have gotten attached to it, or it may be part of their uniform, and there isn't enough space to wear both it and the breastplate.

2) Hunters, Miners, and Woodcutters get glitchy if they're in a military squad, even when off duty. Your best bet is to take the 2 you want hunting and remove them from the squad

3) Silver is marginally better material for hammers due to density.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:28 pm »

Doubt they are getting attached to it. They only really fought once with it. Their new uniform is Metal though, I'm sure of it. They wear some bits of bronze here and there.

Thanks for answering the rest.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

Try dumping the cloaks instead of forbidding them.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »

Did you change the existing uniform template ( the u menu) or make a new one, also after the change did you go into the (e)quipment menu and assign the squad the desired template? I think that that is your problem.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »

Did you change the existing uniform template ( the u menu) or make a new one, also after the change did you go into the (e)quipment menu and assign the squad the desired template? I think that that is your problem.

I'll have another look later tonight. I'll try dumping them too.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:35:40 pm »

2) Hunters, Miners, and Woodcutters get glitchy if they're in a military squad, even when off duty. Your best bet is to take the 2 you want hunting and remove them from the squad

I've seen many people mention this problem. For me, at least, it seems dwarfs won't use an item for civilian jobs if they are assigned it as military equipment. So, you need two crossbows for each marksdwarf\hunter, two axes for an axedwarf\woodcutter, two picks for a recruit\miner.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:21:46 pm »

I've seen many people mention this problem. For me, at least, it seems dwarfs won't use an item for civilian jobs if they are assigned it as military equipment. So, you need two crossbows for each marksdwarf\hunter, two axes for an axedwarf\woodcutter, two picks for a recruit\miner.

I see. How would I assign them different weapons though? I have plenty of crossbows down there.

Dump them every time?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »

I think it's simpler to just take them out of the squad when you want them hunting and turn off hunting when you want them in the military.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:04:29 am »

I see. How would I assign them different weapons though? I have plenty of crossbows down there.

Dump them every time?

They should pick up civilian equipment on their own, so long as there's enough of it spare. It is possible, of course, that you are experiencing an entirely different issue with the same symptoms as mine. Make a couple more, see what happens.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)