Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to maximize dwarf happiness?  (Read 1128 times)

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
How to maximize dwarf happiness?
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:23:10 pm »

I've done such things as give individual rooms with cabinets and such, engraving just about everything, placing statues all over, producing a variety of foods, and building mostly masterpiece furniture, but are there any other things that will increase dwarf happiness?
And while we're here, how do you think I should go about defending my fortress?
I have 2 entrances, each with a dwarf atom smasher ( Draw bridge ) and a HUGE line of Cage traps.
So yeah, any other ideas? Maybe a hallway with tons of spike tracks all linked to one lever which gets pulled a ton of times when an enemy is on it?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: How to maximize dwarf happiness?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:59 pm »

A legendary dining room (I make mine 15x15) and mist generators in the hallways. Keep dwarves from being ripped apart in attacks, as well as their pets.

The only dwarves in my fort who aren't ecstatic are the babies who aren't impressed by such things, and they're just constantly content.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »

You could build a drowning trap, such as using a system of drawbridges to make a giant box on a bridge when it is raised, and then filling the box with water. Then you could lower one of the sides and flush the bodies/water/loot down a pit and pump out the water. That's what I did, I killed a megabeast, two sieges, a few dozen ambushes and some merchants with it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:40 pm »

Try to specilise them into working on a single task over and over, in a single workshop. I find that makes them most pleased with there work.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »

Build a danger room, and train up a squad of steel clad axe lords. As a bonus, you get to keep your soldiers, which means no bad thoughts from deaths recently.

You'de be surprised how many players think it's a good idea to use poorly trained/equipped immigrants for their first line of defense. All that does is waste experience and rack up negative thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:36:58 pm by AngleWyrm »

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:42 pm »

Okay, so how should I go about speed training my soldiers then? I find that when I set them to train they just take an eternity and a half to even become "Skilled" in anything.
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:19:15 pm »

Make a Danger Room. Although you should give them armor first, even wooden spears can horribly mangle somebody.

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:37 pm »

Make a Danger Room. Although you should give them armor first, even wooden spears can horribly mangle somebody.
Forget armor, normal clothes shield enough.   :P

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:40 pm »

Make sure they have some hat-type item though. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of brains smashed through skulls.

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:48:41 pm »

Make sure they have some hat-type item though. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of brains smashed through skulls.
The freaking cloaks have saved my Militia Leader's ass in the danger room so many times.

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:55 am »

Alright then, sounds good :D
( Except that armor is a huge pain in the ass to make, especially since my map lacks a magma pipe )

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:32 am »

Give them armor, a new recruit just took a spear to the head, and was saved by his hood, so, import some or something, because they can save a life.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:16:40 am »

Leather?

Mist is really good for dwarven happiness. The wiki has some designs for water falls and generators. Public artifacts help. Build nice public rooms (meeting halls, statue gardens, zoos, ...). Good and various food and drink helps a lot.