Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Native Gold"  (Read 3830 times)

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
Re: "Native Gold"
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 05:18:46 am »

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

I went looking for this to post here half an hour ago. Got stuck on youtube searching Dwarf Fortress, and for spaced out after somehow making it to Ask Swifty. Came back here and remembered what I went looking for. I think it's time for bed.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 05:27:53 am »

Also remember that your smelter can (using 1 fuel) turn a metal item back into a bar.  So its perfectly acceptable to train up your smiths using expensive materials, as long as you keep melting it back while low quality.

Just as a note of caution, for some reason I cant always melt down chests (metal boxes).  Dont know if its a bug or not
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:41 am »

"Native Gold" is pure elemental gold in stone, making it an ore. If your miners are pretty skilled or lucky, mining it out should produce some gold nuggets, which can be smelted to produce gold bars, which are very valuable. Also, the gold can continue on for some distance, as most ores occur in veins.

The same applies to native silver, copper, aluminum, and platinum.

Speaking of native metals...
This is a long shot (and not particularly useful at this time of year), but If any of you vacation in New Jersey in the summer, there's a store (I forget the name) in Cape May near Sunset Beach that sells decorative chunks of unworked native copper. You might wanna check it out if you're ever there. (Actually, come to think of it, More than half this particular store's merchandise is just different interesting types of rocks, and its a very interesting shop if you play DF)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:39:44 am »

Great for making bins and barrels if you're low on wood.

I disagree. Gold is the heaviest material you're likely to find by far (except platinum), so why build things out of it whose purpose is to be lugged around? It'll just slow down your haulers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:42 am »

Also remember that your smelter can (using 1 fuel) turn a metal item back into a bar.  So its perfectly acceptable to train up your smiths using expensive materials, as long as you keep melting it back while low quality.

Just as a note of caution, for some reason I cant always melt down chests (metal boxes).  Dont know if its a bug or not
You don't get as much back as you put into it.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »

I disagree. Gold is the heaviest material you're likely to find by far (except platinum), so why build things out of it whose purpose is to be lugged around? It'll just slow down your haulers.

There are practical applications for this. I've intentionally used gold bins to store lightweight items to prevent them from scattering when the fort is abandoned, so that I can come in with an adventurer and find things easily.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 01:18:14 pm »

There are practical applications for this. I've intentionally used gold bins to store lightweight items to prevent them from scattering when the fort is abandoned, so that I can come in with an adventurer and find things easily.

Lead is better to use for that purpose though.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »

You don't get as much back as you put into it.
It depends on the item. Most forms of furniture, for instance, give 1 full bar when melted, and, due to a bug, take 1 full bar to make (they're supposed to take 3). For the most part, though, AtomicPaperclip is correct; you lose metal when you melt stuff.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 03:24:03 pm »

I'd rather have slow, buff haulers than sober dwarfs.  And I generally can't think of anything to do with gold bars anyways besides "add gold studs to everything".
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

Many people use gold in their constructions for dwarfiness.

I, on the other hand, use gold for the statues in my dining hall, and then save it for noble's furniture.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »

I simply don't use gold.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 12:21:43 am »

I'd rather have slow, buff haulers than sober dwarfs.  And I generally can't think of anything to do with gold bars anyways besides "add gold studs to everything".

You might as well do that, then. After all, there are lighters metals you can use that are even less useful and much less valuable, like nickel or even lead.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 02:17:57 am »

Firstly because I don't care how long my haulers take as long as they eventually get there, and secondly because waiting for trees to grow back slows down my booze production. Thirdly when I said "great for making bins and barrels" I was referring to non-weaponable metal in general, guess I didn't make that very clear at all though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 11:10:22 pm »

Depending on the situation, it's well-worth putting items in extremely light bins like featherwood or adamantine. Artifacts stored in a bin when a fort is abandoned will remain in that bin or the vicinity of said bin in Adventure mode. That includes the Adventurer so long as he/she is carrying the bin in question. Moreover, it also allows you to remove an infinite number of copies of that artifact. So if you ever wanted a matching Artifact Fine Pewter high boot, it's possible with this method though the extras vanish if you drop them or put them back into the bin/backpack. That's also the only way to transport artifacts between fortress sites that I know of.

Doing that with a light bin is much simpler than a heavier one.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 04:56:49 am »

But using this technique, is a life saver, for early forts. On embark, native ore can me used, for mechanisms, furniture, to trade to the caravans for essential goods. You can then utilize the starting dwarfs labor, to prepare for migrants, instead of trying to produce low cost goods to trade for. After a season, or two, you should have developed a decent economy, where you won't have to use native ores. But they still are shiney! (Drools)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 [2]