Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Native Gold"  (Read 3828 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Native Gold"
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »

Starting my first somewhat succsuful fortress ((As in I finally leanred how to farm and supply food indifnetly)) I started digging.. And as It implys I foundn ative gold... The question is what exactly can I DO with it?

Sorry I just reacently started playing and im not sure what it can be ((My milltary consists of 6 dwarfs who have no armor))
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
Re: "Native Gold"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:46 pm »

Mine it out with some relatively skilled miners, build a smelter or a magma smelter(only available if you have magma), and order the smelter to produce gold bars. In other news, the wiki is your friend.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:55 pm »

See im not exactly sure how the whole Smelter works... Don't I need coal to power it?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:02:51 pm »

"Native Gold" is pure elemental gold in stone, making it an ore. If your miners are pretty skilled or lucky, mining it out should produce some gold nuggets, which can be smelted to produce gold bars, which are very valuable. Also, the gold can continue on for some distance, as most ores occur in veins.

The same applies to native silver, copper, aluminum, and platinum.

See im not exactly sure how the whole Smelter works... Don't I need coal to power it?

If you have a smelter built, that's a good start. To make it work, you do need coal. You can get coal one of two ways:
1. Burning wood at a wood furnace. This requires no fuel, but produces only 1 fuel per wood burned.
2. Smelting bituminous coal or lignite into coke. Both of these require 1 fuel per stone smelted, but lignite produces 2 coke, while bituminous coal produces 3.

Right now you're probably going to want to start burning wood for fuel, unless you've embarked somewhere where wood is scarce. Wood furnaces are under furnaces, the same place as smelters in the build menu. Once you have fuel, your smelter will have job options to smelt ore.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:12:08 pm »

"Native Gold" is pure elemental gold in stone, making it an ore. If your miners are pretty skilled or lucky, mining it out should produce some gold nuggets, which can be smelted to produce gold bars, which are very valuable. Also, the gold can continue on for some distance, as most ores occur in veins.

The same applies to native silver, copper, aluminum, and platinum.

If you have a smelter built, that's a good start. To make it work, you do need coal. You can get coal one of two ways:
1. Burning wood at a wood furnace. This requires no fuel, but produces only 1 fuel per wood burned.
2. Smelting bituminous coal or lignite into coke. Both of these require 1 fuel per stone smelted, but lignite produces 2 coke, while bituminous coal produces 3.

Right now you're probably going to want to start burning wood for fuel, unless you've embarked somewhere where wood is scarce. Wood furnaces are under furnaces, the same place as smelters in the build menu. Once you have fuel, your smelter will have job options to smelt ore.

I don't have an architect to build it... So do I wait and pray the next migrant wave brings one?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »

Press {v} and move over a dwarf, press {p} for preferences, {l} for labors, then go to the last category and press enter. You will have three jobs there, move over "architecture" and press enter. That dwarf will then have that labor turned on and eventually will design the smelter.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:04 pm »

Press {v} and move over a dwarf, press {p} for preferences, {l} for labors, then go to the last category and press enter. You will have three jobs there, move over "architecture" and press enter. That dwarf will then have that labor turned on and eventually will design the smelter.

That or download "Dwarf Therapist". It's a simple addon that allows you to track and alter the labors and skills of all of your dwarves.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »

Thanks!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29:55 am »

That or download "Dwarf Therapist". It's a simple addon that allows you to track and alter the labors and skills of all of your dwarves.
Since when can Dwarf Therapist change skills? Runesmith can.

Gold can't really do much, other than make furniture and trade goods. High value, sure, but not armor or weapons (save for strange moods).

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:34:16 am »

Since when can Dwarf Therapist change skills?
A very long time.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 01:07:10 am »

You can also go into the Stone Screen under stocks and turn off the economic stone status for Gold Nuggets. That allows you to use the stone directly to make any item that can be made out of stone without processing it first. Items made out of gold bars aren't worth anymore than stone items made out of native gold so there's no real need to smelt the gold into bars outside of a few items that are metal only.

Among the few that you would need gold bars for are buckets, cages, chains, and animal traps. All the other furniture can be made using the stone itself along with a few items that can be made with only the stone; mechanisms are probably the most important and are highly recommended as a use for gold, silver, platinum, and aluminum nuggets. Precious metal mechanisms are worth a lot.

VectorSum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:04 am »

Gold can't really do much, other than make furniture and trade goods. High value, sure, but not armor or weapons (save for strange moods).

DT makes them do the labor, but Runesmith changes the skill level. Important distinction to make

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:52:07 am »

DT makes them do the labor, but Runesmith changes the skill level. Important distinction to make
Thought so.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:28:42 am »

The question is what exactly can I DO with it?

Sorry I just reacently started playing and im not sure what it can be ((My milltary consists of 6 dwarfs who have no armor))

Since nobody's completely answered this question yet, once you've smelted it into gold bars all you can really make with it is expensive furniture (and crafts, but I almost never make crafts). Great for making bins and barrels if you're low on wood. Well... maybe not if you're powering your smelter with wood.

If you dig deep enough you might find some magma; magma smelters don't need fuel (except for steel production).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 04:35:20 am »

You can also go into the Stone Screen under stocks and turn off the economic stone status for Gold Nuggets. That allows you to use the stone directly to make any item that can be made out of stone without processing it first. Items made out of gold bars aren't worth anymore than stone items made out of native gold so there's no real need to smelt the gold into bars outside of a few items that are metal only.

Among the few that you would need gold bars for are buckets, cages, chains, and animal traps. All the other furniture can be made using the stone itself along with a few items that can be made with only the stone; mechanisms are probably the most important and are highly recommended as a use for gold, silver, platinum, and aluminum nuggets. Precious metal mechanisms are worth a lot.

I just checked the vanilla raws, and it looks like this is true.  Both the stone of gold and bar have a material value of 30. 
Pages: [1] 2