Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's quiet...Too quiet...  (Read 1020 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's quiet...Too quiet...
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »

Hey there DF players, I'm a noob...No really.  I'm well into my second year, and nearing my third year on my first successful fortress, and I'm yet to experience an ambush...Why?

I have 40 dwarves in my fortress, elves and humans and goblins can access the fortress according to the embark screen...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: It's quiet...Too quiet...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

More wealth, also wait more I was in my 3 year on my first ambush

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:49 pm »

Sometimes it takes a while, especially if all the snatchers you've encountered have died instead of escaping. Another factor is the wealth of your fortress; the higher it is, the more attractive a target it is for ambushes (and sieges, though those won't come until after your fort has at least 80 dwarves).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:41 pm »

I had 86 dwarves, exported and created wealth was ridiculous since I struck magma and one hell of a lot of platinum and rare stuff (Almost every gem there is, there was at least 3 clusters, rather big ones) and I had a huge fort and everything.
No seiges, ambushes, anything, even a megabeast attack, until 5 years later, right before that one 'bold won the game...
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »

Sometimes it takes a while, especially if all the snatchers you've encountered have died instead of escaping. Another factor is the wealth of your fortress; the higher it is, the more attractive a target it is for ambushes (and sieges, though those won't come until after your fort has at least 80 dwarves).

No snatchers, just koboid thieves...Oh well, if the goblins don't want to play, I can get to work on my automated elf caravan drowning chamber, maybe the elves will want to play (To bad there's no goblin Christmas for my Dorfs...)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »

Are you sure you didn't roll a world where goblins went extinct? check the {c}ivilization screen.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:18 am »

I think the Sid Meier screen won't show any civilization whose members haven't come a-visiting yet.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:36:11 am »

I think the Sid Meier screen won't show any civilization whose members haven't come a-visiting yet.
Won't. He already said his embark screen showed goblins had access. Did the embark screen show negatives or war next to the goblins? If not....

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:46:24 am »

Won't. He already said his embark screen showed goblins had access. Did the embark screen show negatives or war next to the goblins? If not....

There are negatives next to the Goblins...
It was inevitable.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:05 am »

You really aren't missing out on much. Just some walking copper occasionally iron armor that ends getting atom crushed.

If you have a thirst for blood cut down all your forest.
Or make a cat pit.
Or pick a fight with the ant people.