Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting annoyed!  (Read 1314 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting annoyed!
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:39 pm »

This is the first autumn of my new fortress.(another one got ruined when the lag started at pop 50).

Everything was going well. And them, a thief appeared! I put 10 dwarfs in a squad, and they killed the thief, but when I was celebrating, ANOTHER THIEF! Another thief appeared. All of them seems to want penetrate the main corridors and steal my stuff(duh, its a tief). This one escaped. When I was going to cancel the order to kill him, ANOTHER THIEF! What the hell? Is that normal? All in a single month? I will continue playing to see if more arrive.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Getting annoyed!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »

They come following caravans.

Also more come when they manage to get away with stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:02:01 pm »

You need to station guards at the fortress entrance.

I find that the easiest way is to make the barracks be the entrance to your fortress. Put an armor stand in the main gatehouse or however you have the fortress entrance designed. Keep dwarves on duty at all times. If they are scheduled to train there they will remain on duty and will automatically attack anything hostile they see, but if they do not see anything hostile they will continue to train and spar.

Any thief attempting to enter your fortress will have to first sneak through a crowded barracks full of armed and armored dwarves. It will not end well for the thief.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »

They come following caravans.

Also more come when they manage to get away with stuff.

Ah. Theres a caravan laying on the depot waiting for someone haul for them some stupid shell crafts. This may explain. Thank you for the fast reply.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »

You need to station guards at the fortress entrance.

I find that the easiest way is to make the barracks be the entrance to your fortress. Put an armor stand in the main gatehouse or however you have the fortress entrance designed. Keep dwarves on duty at all times. If they are scheduled to train there they will remain on duty and will automatically attack anything hostile they see, but if they do not see anything hostile they will continue to train and spar.

Any thief attempting to enter your fortress will have to first sneak through a crowded barracks full of armed and armored dwarves. It will not end well for the thief.

Ah. A good idea. I will consider using it. When I get damn peasants on this fortress, the migrants come all fulfilled with labors. Actually my problem is not the thief itself, them always get caught. The problem is, he run in all corridors of my fortress giving me tons of jobs cancellations of good dwarfs doing their jobs. Is there an effective way of killing them? They seem to ignore every weapon trap full of obsidian short swords; this is bad, as I dont have much people to go on military.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

You should stop being annoyed, thieves come all the time. Usually the won't get away with anything unless garbage is left outside by ambushes/sieges/caravans. Most thieves get detected when they enter your fort if there is semi-regular traffic.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:13:03 pm »

You should stop being annoyed, thieves come all the time. Usually the won't get away with anything unless garbage is left outside by ambushes/sieges/caravans. Most thieves get detected when they enter your fort if there is semi-regular traffic.

Hum... This is bad. I never got master thieves but do they have high ambushing skill? At least in A.M. a competent ambusher can stay right in front of someone and dont get caught while sneaking.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:24:25 pm »

Dwarf mode is different, any creature (even wild ones) will blow the cover of any sneaking hostile when they move right next to them. Dwarves and other intelligent creatures can have the skill "observer" which means a dwarf/intelligent creature can make what basically amounts to a spot check when they do something, they have a chance of revealing sneaking hostiles from several tiles away. I think the higher observer they have the farther away they can check and the higher chance they have of succeeding in the check.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:03 pm »

I've had four thieves appear at the same time outside my fortress, at the same time as a goblin ambush (which was revealed by one of the retreating kobold thieves. If you let them steal things, the kobolds will get bolder and send ambush parties. I usually post war dogs in the front of my fortress to keep an eye on them, and keep anything valuable inside. Artifacts that aren't in use somewhere get looked in a viewing room consisting of clear glass windows, two raising bridges and a magma moat.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »

I've had four thieves appear at the same time outside my fortress, at the same time as a goblin ambush (which was revealed by one of the retreating kobold thieves. If you let them steal things, the kobolds will get bolder and send ambush parties. I usually post war dogs in the front of my fortress to keep an eye on them, and keep anything valuable inside. Artifacts that aren't in use somewhere get looked in a viewing room consisting of clear glass windows, two raising bridges and a magma moat.

Now, the dogs. I need them  :P

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »

you can select various animals to bring on embark from the items screen. A typical startup thief-detection system has a 3-tile wide entrance to the fort with 2 guard dogs tied to either side with a restraint. to diagram

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:35 am »

you can select various animals to bring on embark from the items screen. A typical startup thief-detection system has a 3-tile wide entrance to the fort with 2 guard dogs tied to either side with a restraint. to diagram

Put it after a turn to keep the animals safe from ranged attacks. Also keep a roof over them so fliers have to be on their level. Be careful using females, as their children will hang out there and follow thieves, etc, usually to their death. Keep your guards safe and you'll have an easier time.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:32:31 am »

I typically cage puppies until they mature, then train them into war dogs and put them into dogbombs.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:25 am »

Hum... This is bad. I never got master thieves but do they have high ambushing skill? At least in A.M. a competent ambusher can stay right in front of someone and dont get caught while sneaking.

Master thieves usually only come when they make off with a lot of high value goods, or during kobold seiges. Haven't had one in .18, but in .16 they are goddamn ninjas. In the murderous sense and not just the sneaky sense.

And I think in fort mode a stealthed unit will always be revealed when someone is next to them.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 12:59:41 am »

Put it after a turn to keep the animals safe from ranged attacks. Also keep a roof over them so fliers have to be on their level. Be careful using females, as their children will hang out there and follow thieves, etc, usually to their death. Keep your guards safe and you'll have an easier time.

So, like this

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Pages: [1] 2