Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helpful Mods you always use.  (Read 1703 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Helpful Mods you always use.
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:35:59 pm »

The title really is what it's all about. What are some mods you always use that help you play the game, graphics ones don't count mind you.
Personily I CAN'T play without a mod to make my dwarves move faster, it just takes too freaking long to do anything.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Helpful Mods you always use.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:49 pm »

Lately I too use Speed:0 for a little while, until my fortress is up and running.  I then delete it and let the chaos ensue.
Diggy diggy hole.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »

If I'm at a state where I can't handle a seige due to a large mega project outside or something of that nature, rather then turning invaders off, I add [AQUATIC] to goblins.

That way, I cau use their bones in the structure.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:18:15 pm »

3 words.

Code: [Select]
[MANDATE_MAX:0]
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:33:28 pm »

Love playing the Civ Forge mod because there's just so much stuff in it! I've recently begun to turn invasions off while I set up my fort though, due to having an incident with sand raiders on FLYING ANTS. In addition to that, my dwarfs and all dogs are almost always set-up with [SPEED: 5] or so just because I like to get shit done, their morality tweaked to allow them to butcher and use the remains of enemies, and an expanded version of the Sawmill 2.0 mod. It's so nice to have a crop that produces wood and the ability to make one log into 10 "planks".  ;D  The expansions include creating stone bins, barrels, and beds along with leather bins, barrels (aka "tubs"), and hammocks.

I've also experimented with adding in elements from the Genesis mod and others, but that often leads to many little problems, like getting stuck with human or elf forts...  :(

Edit: Forgot to add that I also use the Higher Learning because it makes training up doctors and my militia so much faster.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:37:11 pm by vhappylurker »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »

There is a civ forge for the latest DF? I didn't know it existed since d40...

Ah the d40 days, when mods were faster to put up, so every man and hes dog made one, and it made for some great veriety.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:13 pm »

It's been up for about a month-ish, if I'm recalling right. And I think one reason mods and updates to certain ones have been slow is due to Toady being so fast with new versions. It's kind of hard to keep up with the mighty Toad sometimes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:05 pm »

To keep up would be impossible, we just get lucky that for the most part, the raws remain unchanged. Always something new though...

Just thought to remove [FEMALE] from cats. That should sort out a common problem.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »

This goes in the modding forum probably.

Also, I don't use any mods.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm vanilla all the way. Well, with the exception of changing coats to trenchcoats, but I do that myself and it hardly changes gameplay. Just helps my imagination.

I like vanilla so I can use each new Dwarf Fortress version as soon as it is released. Also why I never use tilesets. I like the simplicity of the ascii and the base game and don't want the clutter of mods.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »

Dwarf Therapist. Makes the game playable in my opinion. 

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:20 am »

About the only thing I use is DF Hack, for auto vein-digging and reveal (which usually go hand in hand, especially since finding the rarer gems and minerals isn't quite as exciting as in 40d because they're...less rare).  I don't even really need Dwarf Therapist because my dwarves' labors gradually become more or less optimized over time or at least enough to make things work smoothly.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:04:30 am »

I've never used Dwarf Therapist so I can't tell if it's good or not. To be honest though once my dwarves are moveing really fast it's a fun game to me. Still challengeing, only now I don't have to wait 5 minutes for a single bedroom to be dug out. Though getting rid of female cats does sound enticeing.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:56 am »

Vanilla.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.
Pages: [1] 2