Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Most Useless Immigrant You've ever had  (Read 13495 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Most Useless Immigrant You've ever had
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:47 pm »

Sadly, I don't assign my dwarves any other labors than what they come with. Too much management, even with The Rapist. So I usually end up with a LOT of idle dwarves, usually about 60% of them. I just let them chill in my epic dining hall and when I need something moved (such as, say, the 50000 units of stone I'll have produced with the giant mining operation in preparation for my new project), they all jump to it like eager beavers.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »

Most useless? The Philosopher. Seriously. A noble who does nothing. at all. Just eats, drinks, and sleeps. And throws parties.

Yet makes no demands making him the Dwarven Buddha.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 07:40:50 pm »

Sadly, I don't assign my dwarves any other labors than what they come with. Too much management, even with The Rapist. So I usually end up with a LOT of idle dwarves, usually about 60% of them. I just let them chill in my epic dining hall and when I need something moved (such as, say, the 50000 units of stone I'll have produced with the giant mining operation in preparation for my new project), they all jump to it like eager beavers.
Teach me how, pleeeeeeeease. >.< Getting the stone from the friggin huge magma smelter room I have to the top of the fort and then into the walls and stuff of the fort is so annoying... Since I have the Genesis mod, I usually grind all the stone away or into bolts or something....
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »

Mass dumping. d-b-d. To make sure your masons use it immediately, make a hole above the center of your mason's shop and put the dump zone right next to it.

It can take some time for your dwarves to dump all that stone, but it'll get there, and your mason can just sit in his shop can carve away.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 07:45:39 pm »

Generally the only times I care about item quality are when I have equipment made, so if I get a skilless immigrant I'll just throw him on hunting or masonry or engraving or anything I don't have enough of at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

Adequate teacher, with no other skills. What does he teach? Law?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 08:03:49 pm »

Adequate teacher, with no other skills. What does he teach? Law?

The Adequate Student.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

For me,the most useless immigrants are Potash Makers. Though most of my immigrants quickly get reassigned as farmers, masons, and engravers depending on what I need done at the moment.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:58 pm »

Never mind all that - I just hate when I get five floods of immigrants in a row with no Miners. Thanks for making me waste metal and fuel just so I can make someone useful, jerks.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:49 pm »

Having a number of idle dwarves around is helpful if you use a large number of items for caravan trade. They're also useful as haulers of course, but also for making stone blocks, as they don't have quality levels.

I decided that my most recent fortress will actually be a fortress and not just a series of tunnels dug into the ground, so I have a block of masonry shops in my mine set to create rock blocks. Any idle and otherwise useless dwarves get assigned to one and start churning out blocks that get hauled to a stockpile at the surface.

Once I have a decent number I suspend the block production and have my masons start constructing the next part of my fortress wall.

So far I have a decently large outer wall 1 z-level high and 1 tile thick. I have some part of the entrance upgraded to 4 thick surrounding my drawbridge entrance with some ramps to climb on top of the wall. I eventually plan to have a several z-level tall fortress with 2-3 tile wide hallways surrounded by wall on the inside and fortifications on the outside, with archery towers used to get from floor to floor.

All my useful stuff still happens underground of course, this really started as a way to create some safe area for outdoor jobs and the idea exploded from there, but the point is that it takes a lot of manpower that I don't want to take away from useful professions.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 09:41:50 pm »

I use most of my useless migrants for plant gathering/farming/fishing or as soldiers. Hungry Dorves need food, and useless peasants are great at growing wild strawberries, catching fish, and farming plump helmets.

Aren't you hurting your productivity for a good span of time by training up a bunch of farmers?
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

Technically yes, the lower skilled the farmers are the slower they plant and the smaller stacks they produce.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 10:05:26 pm »

Okay useless or funny. Mine was a peasant his only skill was that he was an "adequate liar". I can just imagine him signing up for the expedition....

I had an entire wave of peasants with virtually no skills.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:01 pm »

Technically yes, the lower skilled the farmers are the slower they plant and the smaller stacks they produce.

Right, right. I never considered that. However, i don't want any urists going to waste. perhaps i'll make more picks so i can have a bit of redundancy with my miners, in case a terrible fate befalls some of them.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:04 pm »

A wave of 35 immigrants, all of which were bloody woodcutters on a map with no trees.  And I had no cavern layers.  :l fail much?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6