Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the green rock...  (Read 968 times)

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the green rock...
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:02:48 pm »

so, recently finished up the carving of my new deep underground base, and there is an enormous amount of stone, and after hours of dumping, I've yet to even clear a portion of it, despite having 180 dwarves working around the clock.
Can I just hide all of it or will it get in the way of stockpiles/future farms?

edit: and, is there a way to get rid of nausea? All of my dwarves are nauseous and puking which causes more dwarves to get nauseous and puke which causes more dwarves to get nauseous and puke and so forth.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:10:49 pm by ZachUSAman »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the green rock...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:17:42 pm »

I think hiding things just makes them not show up when you want to look through things, but they're still there.

As for the nausea, is this happening above ground? If so, it's due to cave adaptation, not much you can do about it. otherwise I'm not experienced enough to determine the cause.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

slap a mason's workshop somewhere convenient and turn them all into stone blocks.  firstly, it's a great way to train masons.  secondly, stone blocks store in stockpiles where raw stones don't.  thirdly, if you use stone blocks to make walls and floors, they look nicer, add more value to your fort and make your dwarves happier.  lastly, wha' kinn'a dwarf  yeh be ta' be tossin' out perfectly good stone.

if they are vomiting, look at their personal preferences and see why they are getting sick.  if it's because there's vomit everywhere, define some burrows and keep your dwarves away from the vomitorium.  probably they are either cave-adapted or you had some forgotten beast sneak in and now they all have a syndrome that leaves them constantly nauseous and puking.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »

their puking because some damn forgotten beast a couple years back with a nasty syndrome. nobody died from it, apart from a child who wanted to play "touch the forgotten beast".

and thanks for the idea about the masons shop... my last legendary mason died because he decided to be on the wrong side of the wall he was building around a tunnel.. scouted a lot of the underground for me though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

secondly, stone blocks store in stockpiles where raw stones don't.
Actually, blocks store in bins. Raw stone doesn't, but is perfectly capable of being put in a stockpile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:45 pm »

I'm just dumping the stones via garbage piles.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »

I'm just dumping the stones via garbage piles.
Quantum stockpile near the masons, crafters, mechanics, and smelters. Keeps them supplied and the fortress clean.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:30 pm »

Well, at least your Fortress is safe from Superman.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.