Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact jems  (Read 949 times)

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact jems
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:10 am »

Can I encrust with artifact jems? Or only sell'em?
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact jems
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:51 am »

Selling artifacts shouldnt be possible... For encrusting, maybe.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:44 am »

You can neither encrust with or sell artifact gems.  They're as useless as any other kind of artifact craft.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:26 am »

Artifact gems sit and look pretty, like most artifacts that aren't weapons, armor, or furniture. ON my latest (and longest lasting) fort I've made a "viewing chamber" for my useless artifacts that lets civilians see them regularly while keeping them out of the hands of thieves:

"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:50 am »

You can also mod in little 'display case' rooms to show em off so they go into fortress wealth.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

You can use them to make a window(I think. you CAN use gems to make windows('Y')but artifacts I dont know. please do some !!SCIENCE!!) and put it on a strategic location and the dwarves will see a awesome window. Maybe on the main corridors.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »

Artifact gems sit and look pretty, like most artifacts that aren't weapons, armor, or furniture. ON my latest (and longest lasting) fort I've made a "viewing chamber" for my useless artifacts that lets civilians see them regularly while keeping them out of the hands of thieves:

Those look like floodgates. Floodgates are usable. You can also build them, which makes them more visible.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »

Did you place the gem using dump or stockpile?

You can use them to make a window(I think. you CAN use gems to make windows('Y')but artifacts I dont know. please do some !!SCIENCE!!) and put it on a strategic location and the dwarves will see a awesome window. Maybe on the main corridors.
I've just noticed that the gem is large and you can't do anything of large gems.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:40:48 am »

Those look like floodgates. Floodgates are usable. You can also build them, which makes them more visible.

Those are not floodgates, they're bins that contain an ashen bracelet and a cougar bone spear. I tried getting the dwarves to remove the bins but they won't have it. The thing that looks like a chair is in fact a steel throne; I'm saving it for a decent purpose, as my mayors don't deserve it and my dining hall is beyond impressive enough. There's also a new emerald window one of my gem setters produced in there I'm also saving for a good purpose.

Did you place the gem using dump or stockpile?

I've just noticed that the gem is large and you can't do anything of large gems.

It's a custom stockpile with every quality-affected item category turned on and both core and base qualities restricted to artifact in each category. It would be bigger but that bit of floor was already there long before I decided to use it for this. I may dig a bigger one later.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:31 am »

Those are not floodgates, they're bins that contain an ashen bracelet and a cougar bone spear. I tried getting the dwarves to remove the bins but they won't have it. The thing that looks like a chair is in fact a steel throne; I'm saving it for a decent purpose, as my mayors don't deserve it and my dining hall is beyond impressive enough. There's also a new emerald window one of my gem setters produced in there I'm also saving for a good purpose.
Even setting max bin/barrel to 0?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 03:30:36 am »

Yup. As well as dumping the bins. I figured it was just the way it was going to be.