Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress in the caverns  (Read 871 times)

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
Fortress in the caverns
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:21:22 am »

Okay everyone. I've started a new fortress and decided I'm going to be building it in the caverns themselves, instead of the z-layers between the surface and the first cavern like I normally do. I probably should have asked this before starting, but any suggestions? I've opened the first cavern layer before, but never really built my fortress in it though
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress in the caverns
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:42:57 am »

caverns aren't exactly wide open spaces.   They are often cramped and winding caves.  You'll need to artificially expand your caverns a bit, cutting out rock formations in the ceiling or floor to give you some room to build constructions.

The first thing will be to build a temporary fort with the bare essentials in the top few layers.  Next you should dig a vertical shaft and expose all three cavern layers, and try to expose every single bit of the caverns you have on your embark.  Next will be the hard part, deciding which cavern layer would be best to build in, and how to best expand it to give you some room.  Then you want to grab some territory and stake out some area by walling it off to make it somewhat safe for your workers.  put traps and bridges in strategic locations, then get to work.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:36:06 am »

Thanks for the advice.  :D Guess I'm being a bit hasty, as I'm already working on walling off an area in the first layer. Haven't looked in the other layers. And I probably doomed my fps by routing some of the brook on the surface into the first cavern layer, as there are no pools of water from what I can see. On the up side, using my original seven dwarves as a makeshift militia seems to work well. Already killed several things
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:47 am »

This is what your idea reminds me of:
マグマキッド

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:29 am »

Thats what i always wanted to do. Close myslef in the caves with 20 dwarfs or so, and build a tower inside the caverns.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:54 am »

I've tried this before in the first cavern layer.  I've actually found that specifying two dwarves as military and having them train non-stop rather than having a 7-dwarf militia tends to work better, because they quickly outclass any monsters that happen to wander in, and with only 7 dwarves you don't need to put much work into getting food and booze, and you can have miners be masons and carpenters (but not the fort woodcutter, so a nice job for him is doubling as an herbalist).

If you aren't leaving migrants out of the fort, than you can pretty much expand your workforce the same way you usually would, but probably are going to want to divide your military into squads of 3 so that you can defend multiple parts of your fort from wild animals.  If you aren't going to let them in, you really need to kill them off rather than just leave them because they will survive indefinitely on river water and vermin, until one that actually has a weapon goes berserk, and even then they don't ever die.  Keep in mind you'll have a lot of memorializing to do.

Another thing to note, current research has concluded that dwarves will not mate with first cousins, but will mate with aunts and uncles.  So, if you aren't taking migrants, know that there is hope for your second and third generation if they end up being fairly small.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:53:46 am »

I suggest genning for spacious caverns just cause it's annoying to micro cleaning those damn rock pillars and it's probably look better too. Cavern openess 100-100. Cavern tunnel density 0-0 will give you caves much akin to undiggable land.

2nd suggestion is to gen for caves with water in but not too much, you want to live in it after all. Cavern water 25-50 is usually suffice and guarantee one edged water source.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:07 am »

Whats with the giant daemonic thing on the cliff?  I don't recall ever seeing that, even in fully upgraded towns.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:31:45 am »

Whats with the giant daemonic thing on the cliff?  I don't recall ever seeing that, even in fully upgraded towns.
The grail building.