Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problems making an efficient dwarven shower.  (Read 3439 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Problems making an efficient dwarven shower.
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 08:20:42 pm »

pics?

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 01:52:32 am »

Pics please!
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 02:14:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Red circle shows diagonal bend.  Top leve has a lever to cut off the power supply.  It is off in the image.  Because more water is needed to keep flow in the upper level, the bottom is level is wider to hold more.  When it is on, before the bend is usually between 4-6 units deep, after the bend between 1-3.  water falls down intermittently, but there is a constant supply of mist.  I'm not sure if the mist cleans dwarves or if they need to actually get hit by the 1 unit block of water to get clean.

My current setup was sort of shoe-horned in, so its far from optimal.  Ideally I would put another pump on the other side, and then expand the main walkway to 3 tiles wide.  The top level has a larger-than-necessary U bend in it because of where I had to place the pump, I think it could be done much more simply by placing the pump(s) one tile south from the actual waterfall zone.  I'm considering building a new main dining hall now that my fortress is more mature, in which case I'd take what I've learned here and built wider and more efficient.  Aside from traffic jams in the 2-wide hallway and the occasional need to toggle the pond filling job on, this appears to be working just fine.

If I get a nicer setup built I'll post that as well.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 02:17:49 am »

Will be waiting...watching.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 02:42:55 am »

Building a shower into an aquifer is optimal. It's an endless supply and an endless sink, so no chance of emptying or overflowing.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 03:23:39 am »

relying on an aquifer defeats the purpose of a 'place anywhere' design.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 04:35:26 am »

Aquifers seem to be everywhere. People certainly complain about them often enough.

"Pipes" and pumps will let you put your shower anywhere.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 05:16:13 am »

Aquifers seem to be everywhere. People certainly complain about them often enough.

"Pipes" and pumps will let you put your shower anywhere.

when my shower is 20 levels below said aquifer, it really doesn't matter where I'm getting the water from, there's no way I'm going to bother pumping it all the way up just to drain it, and no way that I'm going to risk connecting my meeting hall shower to an infinite water supply.  Much better to have a completely self contained system that easily recycles water.  By "optimal"  I want a design that is small and minimizes the length of the path of the water while maintaining an even and constant flow of small amounts of water.
Thoughts on water

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 06:49:43 am »

This should be Wiki'd  :D
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 03:27:48 pm »

Agreed. Interesting setup, thanks for posting! *tags for notification*
Pages: 1 [2]