Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First FB  (Read 4115 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
First FB
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:04:32 pm »

So, my first FB. (Even though my last fort went almost four years without anything but kobolds. I abandoned due to lack of fun.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I laugh. I can only imagaine a beakless giant mockingbird with horns. However, the laughing stops at "Beware it's poisonous gas" though. Do FB's go away after awhile? I've locked up that cavern, so I'm fairly safe.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First FB
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:16:39 pm »

It will still be lurking when you finally breach that cavern, unless you happen to have an animal man tribe down there who can kill it. And it will eat your FPS while it lives due to the gas.

Build yourself a 3/7-deep bath between your fort proper and the caverns, get a dwarf with decent dodging and weapon skills (ideally with a spear in this case, though axes and swords are suitable as well) and full armor, preferably steel, and you should be alright. I've had dwarves solo forgotten beasts with around Proficient in axes, armor, shields, dodger, and fighter and equipped with bronze armor and axe made by a Proficient smith, so they aren't ludicrously tough unless you get one made from nonliving material, which this one isn't.

The only real danger of FBs is their great size, which can be compensated for with good equipment and skills, and their syndrome-causing ability, which are often not actually all that dangerous. The horror stories of FBs with gas that causes instant necrosis of the lungs are probably mostly true, but such creatures are rare.  If you've got a legend with full masterwork steel as I've had in the past, it's just a matter of the dwarf not getting bowled over by the FB's charges all the time, which will happen eventually.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:22:47 pm »

My highest military's dwarf (weapon/fighting) skill is talented wrestling. I've got practicly no armor, and my one speardwarf doesn't even have a spear yet. I'm on the summer of year 2.

EDIT : I also have over a dozen elephants, four or five of which are not tamed.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:00 pm »

They may disappear into invisible parts of the map, but they're still there until SOMEthing kills them. You can accumulate more than one if you delay. I got up to seven once.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:30 pm »

My highest military's dwarf (weapon/fighting) skill is talented wrestling. I've got practicly no armor, and my one speardwarf doesn't even have a spear yet. I'm on the summer of year 2.

EDIT : I also have over a dozen elephants, four or five of which are not tamed.
Well then, either avoid cracking that cavern again until you've got some decent troopers set up, or see if a dozen elephants can't trample the thing to death.

They may disappear into invisible parts of the map, but they're still there until SOMEthing kills them. You can accumulate more than one if you delay. I got up to seven once.
Seven? Really? I got 2 per year for 2 years, then they stopped coming until I finally got to the point where my megaproject had to go through the first cavern layer, when I had my two main Fortress Defense mod-trained champions go down and beat them all up. I just assumed 4 was the maximum on the map at once, though as I've not seen much of the second cavern layer the rest might just be milling about in there...
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:39:11 pm »

The thing about the FBs is that they can be either extremely tough or extremely easy. Most of the time a civilian is capable of killing most FBs, provided they are miners or woodcutters. An organic FB shouldn't be too hard, one of my miners got a lucky headshot on a giant insectoid and killed it in one turn.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:40:53 am »

From my experience the ones with deadly vapors and the ones with deadly dust can be really bad, with dust being worse than vapors. I fought a beast made of clear glass once it only farted its deadly dust once and died since every body part shattered after one blow. All of my soldiers rotted alive before they could make it to the stairway. The syndrome also spread to the kittens and children in my fort and when i examined one guy in the hospital once to often (just was too much fun reading a status log with two pages of rot related injuries) the game crashed. I lost 5 hours of playing as that fort was running with about 10 fps, and I then gave up on the fort. In my current fort a poisonous vapor beast wasn't that strong, as my macelord could somehow block the vapors with his shield.
Well i just read up on the wiki there's different kinds of vapor dust and gas attacks. Also the stuff can be boiling and frozen for an extra twist.
The thing with your fb is, that poison can be really random, sometimes it won't do anything sometimes it will insta paralyze leading to suffocation.
Imho just build a cavein trap for it.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:56 am »

I recently built a danger room. So my guys are trainig up now! Also, one of my military dudes is doomed to live in a bed his entire life. He lost his ability to stand. Stupid broken crutches. Also, the majority of those elephants shall soon be war elephants. I shall give one to each soldier once they are ready. (Ambush or high enough skills I trust them)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:50 am »

9000 hours in MSPaint later: Your FB.

"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:24 am »

the laughing stops at "Beware it's poisonous gas" though.

Sounds like a distant relative of a DK2 bile demon.

Anyway, you're lucky... My first FB was a gigantic humanoid made entirely of adamantine, IE an Adamantine Colossus.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »

So, uh, I was looking through the announcements (which have been spewing stockpile problems) and found the message "The (FB) is no longer enraged". Apparently it got in a fight with the local batman civ. The FB won. I hope they left some damage to it. Or maybe the battle is still going on. But there are batmen corpses. Speaking of which, I've got a legendary speardwarf who is also legendary in fighting.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »

Why not just wait for it stop moving around too much?  Most FB stop or slowdown after exploring a bit, after that its not hard to design a secure cave-in above it (make sure not to have either side of the support be connected to your main base--flyers will exploit holes you yourself punctured.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?