Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You choose the slugmans fate  (Read 2002 times)

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You choose the slugmans fate
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:05:49 pm »

Question though: Do slug men breed? Or do i have to just capture a whole ton?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:40 pm »

Only pet-able animals breed IIRC.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »

Only pet-able animals breed IIRC.
Hmm.... looking at the raws it would seem that this is not true. Also given the fact that civilizations can exsist in caverns, i'm guessing that my slugmen can breed. But the whole noble thing is useless as they arent aggressive enough. theyd just drop in and be like "omg a human run away" and the noble would be like "omg a slug run away" so nothing would happen except the noble might starve.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:02:01 am by Evanissimo »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 01:28:18 pm »

They probably will.  Their young may die horribly for various reasons, though.  In .16 I modded gnomes to be tameable, but their offspring seemed to have the need-to-be-carried-around infant phase, unlike tigerfolks. Tamed gnomes didn't care for their offspring, so I had gnome babies crawling around very slowly and dying of thirst and starvation before they could get to the wells/food stockpiles.  Chaining them next to water and food didn't seem to help; perhaps they needed booze instead of water.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 04:45:07 pm »

They probably will.  Their young may die horribly for various reasons, though.  In .16 I modded gnomes to be tameable, but their offspring seemed to have the need-to-be-carried-around infant phase, unlike tigerfolks. Tamed gnomes didn't care for their offspring, so I had gnome babies crawling around very slowly and dying of thirst and starvation before they could get to the wells/food stockpiles.  Chaining them next to water and food didn't seem to help; perhaps they needed booze instead of water.
Same here. Putting them in cages with a dedicated animal trainer keeps them alive longer, it seems. I've never had them grow to childhood, though. I've even set their baby time to 0 in the raws, and they still make babies instead of children.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:46:58 pm by jaxad0127 »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:31 pm »

Make it work in the rock salt mines.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 05:53:57 pm »

Same here. Putting them in cages with a dedicated animal trainer keeps them alive longer, it seems. I've never had them grow to childhood, though. I've even set their baby time to 0 in the raws, and they still make babies instead of children.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the game mechanics.  Baby gnomes chained up with a well one square next to them and food in all other adjacent squares will die, no exceptions (.16).  I'd wager it's because there's a difference between the critters having free-roaming cubs (a la tigermen) and infants (gnomes, etc).  Dwarven babies don't seem to eat; they get packed around by the mom--other intelligent races don't carry their kids around. Tweaking the maturation times wouldn't help because there'd still be that infant phase... Mod your animalfolk race to have free-roaming cub offspring and not dependant infants, and it'd probably work.  The way things seem to be set up now, gnomes and the like are supposed to have the dependant infant phase, but when they're tamed, they don't care for their young and your baby gnomes/slugmen/whatever will just crawl helplessly around the fort until they croak, much like orphaned dwarven babies.

Maybe splicing raws from the tigermen into the race you want domesticated would help.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 09:17:08 pm »

Dig a pit to hell and then dig a hole straight up and go as high as possible.
Then via floor hatch, drop him the whole 150 odd Z levels to the demons!
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »

Craft him his own microcline mug, sling an arm over his slimy torso, and get drunk with him, singing songs until the sun comes up.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:23:59 pm »

Minimum infancy time is 1 year, no way around that. However, modding childhood time to 1 will make them go from infant to adult, skipping the childhood phase.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »

Set up a system using pressure plates so he breaches Hell.

also the first to go b/c of it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 10:29:12 pm »

Minimum infancy time is 1 year, no way around that.

Unless you delete the [BABY:] tag and only use the [CHILD:] tag.
A creature with only the [CHILD:] tag will skip the baby stage entirely and go directly to i-can-feed-and-water-myself child.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 10:39:10 pm »

Give him some weapons, then feed him hurt animals untill he is a mighty warrior, THEN give him a pet house above the nobles quaters.

Hammerers arch nemisis: Slugman! Protecter of dwards who just want to work without putting up with these mandates.

Slugman! Nananananananananananananananana Slugman! Slugman! Slugman!

Is there ANY WAY you can get them to wear clothing? Specifically, a cape and mask?
Pages: 1 [2]