Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14641 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 08:42:27 am »

It's past my own personal-dignity threshold when I say something stupid and non-contributative.  Which, if you really need to know:

I think the simcity to simcity societies dumbing down gradient is one of greatest the landmarks of game history. It'll never be repeated.
SSSSHHH!  They'll hear you and do it to a better series!

Like what?
EA already killed every good game series anyway.
Plus the others have been killed too, call of duty, battlefield is going there, etc...
Rockstar is starting their decent with red dead redemption, the game was ok but it ended like shit.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 09:44:35 am »

You know why? Because they make sequels instead of making new games :P. The more you overuse something, the worse it becomes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:18 am »

I am always disapointed when they do something with THE SAME ENGINE that the current Sims has... and don't transfer any of it over.

The Sims 2 Castaway for example I would have really liked as an expansion. Heck make it a standalone expansion it would totally work!

There are so many costume peices from The Sims medieval that they could transfer to The Sims 3 that I would love! (costumes!) but they won't. Objects? No. Don't even make it a standalone expansion just allow cross content!

Instead we get these REALLY REALLY underworked on expansions filled with glitches and bugs that never get fixed every six months.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:55 am »

I wish they'd make a Sim City 5 with Sim City 2000's newspapers and disasters, Sim City 3000's advisers, news ticker, and concerned citizens, and Sim City 4's graphics (if not better) and regions.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »

The timing on this release seems somewhat bizarre since I'll soon be playing Paizo's Kingmaker adventure path, which operates on a remarkably similar basic concept. While I find the notion interesting, I trust my GM far more than I could ever trust EA after they burned me with my Spore pre-order.

EDIT: Upon exploring the game's site further, I have discovered that many of the loading bars, menus and other elements of the site are visibly malfunctioning or displaying inaccurate information. Not the most reassuring thing that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:17:32 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »

Been curious about this, although I wouldn't think of buying it until I hear more about how it actually plays out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »

The Sims 2 Castaway for example I would have really liked as an expansion. Heck make it a standalone expansion it would totally work!

It is standalone....  ???

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

so... is it any good or are you all to busy playing to report back  :D

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »

Rockstar is starting their decent with red dead redemption, the game was ok but it ended like shit.
I don't think the ending was bad at all, what didn't you like?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

A "Standalone expansion" is a game that can be used as an expansion but can also be played on its own.

Castaway doesn't link up in anyway to The Sims 2.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

A "Standalone expansion" is a game that can be used as an expansion but can also be played on its own.

Castaway doesn't link up in anyway to The Sims 2.

Where on earth did you come up with that explanation?  I have always considered a stand alone expansion to just be new content that doesn’t require the original to play. Wiki takes it a little differently:

Stand-alone expansion packsSome expansion packs do not require the original game in order to use the new content, as is the case with Blue Shift or Sonic & Knuckles. In some cases, a standalone expansion such as Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death, or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna includes the original game. Standalone expansions are preferred by game retailers since they require less shelf space and are generally easier to move since they don't carry the prerequisite of owning the original game. Often, enhanced games or anthologies released as "Game of the Year edition", "Director's Cut", etc. are examples of standalone expansions. In some standalone packs if someone does not have the original or previous expansion packs, then he/she can't use certain units or races contained in the other games in multiplayer.
Anyways, I would like to know what people think of this Sims as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

You know why? Because they make sequels instead of making new games :P. The more you overuse something, the worse it becomes.

Dunno if I agree with that.  I happen to like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, even though they're at number 11.  Games 7, 8, and 10 added a whole new way to play the game, which I personally enjoyed.  Then again, Koei cares.

Oh, and I'd like to know how the topic game fares gameplaywise.

EDIT: Ok, I got bored waiting, so I found an online review: http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/218534/the-sims-medieval/

I'll summarize in spoilers, based upon the review and the assumed expectations of my fellow forumites:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 05:43:55 pm »

The problem is mostly that it combines two elements that don't really combine into one better whole while at the same time downplaying some of the features that made The Sims fun.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

Why did that review do nothing but moan then give the game 4/5 stars? I am confused.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »

Can't say I expected good things from that game.  My expectations were on par with SimCity Societies.

In fact it looks like it really is the Societies version of The Sims.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11