Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14647 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:17:15 am »

I don't see how a game like Sims could work in a setting with nearly zero social mobility.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:34:33 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:29:20 am »

Sims : Sims Medieval :: SimCity : SimCity Societies
I don't see the parallel. You can't really dumb down the Sims series like Societies dumbed down SimCity.

When I first saw the feature list I thought it might actually be an improvement. But then I saw a gameplay presentation. And yet I think I'll still demo it out of curiosity.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:07 am »

I don't see the parallel. You can't really dumb down the Sims series like Societies dumbed down SimCity.

You have much to learn, friend.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 09:44:07 am »

My wife's been a fan of the SIMs games for a while now.  I played around with the first one, but haven't touched any of the newer ones.

She's also a fan of swords & sorcery and whatever else...  So this game is right up her alley.  She'll definitely be buying it.

So I'll at least have an opportunity to try it out and see what it's like.

The promotional bits here and there that I've seen look pretty good...  But I can't help being skeptical.  It's EA, after all.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:10 am »

Interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Spore was supposed to be a god game, and it wound up a compilation pack of a pretty awesome arcade game, a third-person adventurer/RPG, a small-scale and a large scale strategy game, and a disastrous mix of real-time strategy and RPG, all of which were repetitive, boring, and unoriginal, save for the first, plus some half-decent user-content creators. I'm not sure how it will work, though.
[/post]

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 11:13:56 am »

Seems a lot to me like those objective-based Sims 2 spinoffs called The Sims Stories (Sims Castaway Stories, Sims Life Stories).

They're ok.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »

Another offshoot that for the time being will be labeled "interesting" for me. Let's see how this will turn out...

You know, it is actually quite a smart spin to do the sims ofshoots on different historical settings other than modern. The big question is if they can adapt it so it doesn't feel like a suburb sim dressed as medieval.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 06:56:47 pm »

Seems a lot to me like those objective-based Sims 2 spinoffs called The Sims Stories (Sims Castaway Stories, Sims Life Stories).

They're ok.
Ah!  Those are the ones I was trying to remember the names of.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:15 pm »

Sims : Sims Medieval :: SimCity : SimCity Societies
Sure you can, although I believe the console Sims games would fit the comparison more.  Basically, strip all the complexity and sandboxiness from it, paint it with kid colors, and sell it at full price when it would barely qualify for a budget title.  For added detriment, farm out the development to a nobody studio so that the only think making it part of the series is the name.  (Why yes, I am still a little bitter about buying Societies.)

Now, Medieval might work.  It might even be good.  But I don't think it will be good enough to justify its Sim name.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:01:20 pm by Trorbes »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:09 pm »

Medieval will at least be an ok game.

If it will be a great game I have no idea.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 02:47:05 pm »

I think the simcity to simcity societies dumbing down gradient is one of greatest the landmarks of game history. It'll never be repeated.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »

Edit:  Dammit, I necroposted something stupid.  Never mind me.  Note to self, don't open like ten tabs from your watched thread list at once.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 04:08:31 pm »

Six days is necro treshold here? :-\

Also, tadpoles.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 04:15:56 pm »

It's past my own personal-dignity threshold when I say something stupid and non-contributative.  Which, if you really need to know:

I think the simcity to simcity societies dumbing down gradient is one of greatest the landmarks of game history. It'll never be repeated.
SSSSHHH!  They'll hear you and do it to a better series!

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:13 am »

I just installed it for my GF (she plays The Sims daily). I will report back with her opinion.

Has anyone else played it yet? I watched the intro and as a Star Trek fan I liked the Patrick Stewart voice over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11