Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: New Sims game, I'm scared...  (Read 14619 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: New Sims game, I'm scared...
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

I should also point out that simply saying it has 36 quests is doing little justice to the quest system. Many many of the quests have 2 or more ways to complete them which entirely alter the way the quest plays out, and half the fun has been replaying those quests with alternate results so far.

Like forging a better sword to kill the chinchillas vs curing their raging hatred by the power of the watcher. Same quest, different approach.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:22 am »

I'm not sure how I feel about you complaining that the game doesn't understand an overcomplicated situation you caused on purpose. They can't foresee every possibility.

Haha, I wasn't complaining as much as I was just pointing it out.  I also don't think it is an overcomplicated situation, a bit of scripting here and there and she could have reacted the same as she does when she challenges and destroys any random squire in game.  Not to mention the lack of husband or wife taking the throne when their spouse dies, they really dropped the ball on that one.

Sort of funny (for me at least), she's turning out to be almost as bad as her fated husband now...one little assassination and WHAM-O!

But it's always good to get people thinking askew to the norm though. :D

Take care,

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:53 pm »

I do agree that it's strange there is no succession. Your kid/spouse cannot become king after the previous monarch's death

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »

I do agree that it's strange there is no succession. Your kid/spouse cannot become king after the previous monarch's death

This is actually the biggest issue for me, and why I have turned to "alternate" ways to play the game.

Take care,

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »

:o

If you have a blacksmith in your kingdom, there will sooner or later be a quest where he/she does some very dwarfy.. things.  :D
Don't want to spoil anything tough..  8)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2011, 09:59:28 pm »

Yup, I loved that quest. :P

bobusdoleus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »

I was fully willing to give this game a chance, but... Well...

I believe that people are cutting it way too much slack. It's a pretty bad game. Here's how a play session goes: Step 1: Interact with some objects in your house to get positive moodlets. Step 2: Sit on your hands for an hour. Eventually, your quest performance will be platinum. (You may have to preform one of the quest tasks every game day or so, so very infrequently.) Once this is done, do the chain of Go-To-Point-A 'quest objectives,' that are very basic and simple and test nothing. Quest complete. Rinse, repeat. That's the whole game, folks.
 Unlike in The Sims, where you had a lot of individual skills to manage at least, and could build a house and play dolls with the sims themselves, which was pretty fun if you like it (and many people do, myself included). The Sims 3 was a much more complex and interesting game (Though not perfect, of course). This is barely a game at all, honestly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »

I believe that people are cutting it way too much slack. It's a pretty bad game. Here's how a play session goes: Step 1: Interact with some objects in your house to get positive moodlets. Step 2: Sit on your hands for an hour. Eventually, your quest performance will be platinum. (You may have to preform one of the quest tasks every game day or so, so very infrequently.) Once this is done, do the chain of Go-To-Point-A 'quest objectives,' that are very basic and simple and test nothing. Quest complete. Rinse, repeat. That's the whole game, folks.
 Unlike in The Sims, where you had a lot of individual skills to manage at least, and could build a house and play dolls with the sims themselves, which was pretty fun if you like it (and many people do, myself included). The Sims 3 was a much more complex and interesting game (Though not perfect, of course). This is barely a game at all, honestly.
I can accept that you don't like the game but that alone doesn't make it a bad game. My girlfriend and I enjoy it quite a lot.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »

I can accept that you don't like the game but that alone doesn't make it a bad game. My girlfriend and I enjoy it quite a lot.

Hm. I ought to try downloading this and playing it with my girlfriend. Seems like the type of game she might enjoy.

And really... anything to get her away from that godawful Neopets addiction. DAMN YOU, NEOPETS!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »

*snip* DAMN YOU, NEOPETS!

Ack.. Neopets.. I remember that.. used to spend lots of time on.. just waste of time..  ::)

bobusdoleus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:04 pm »

I'm reasonably sure that if this game didn't have the Sims name, (and had its own graphics engine, perhaps a slightly different presentation style, so people wouldn't call it a sims rip-off, but still kept all the core game mechanics) it would be decried as a pretty bad game. Click on bookshelf, click on food, click on mirror, click on drinks, wait one hour, click on a couple locations (the only variable from quest to quest), done, isn't really a game. The only bits that are fun about it is reading the text that goes along with the quests - and the text is varied and humorous, sure. But there's no actual gameplay.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »

I'm reasonably sure that if this game didn't have the Sims name, (and had its own graphics engine, perhaps a slightly different presentation style, so people wouldn't call it a sims rip-off, but still kept all the core game mechanics) it would be decried as a pretty bad game. Click on bookshelf, click on food, click on mirror, click on drinks, wait one hour, click on a couple locations (the only variable from quest to quest), done, isn't really a game. The only bits that are fun about it is reading the text that goes along with the quests - and the text is varied and humorous, sure. But there's no actual gameplay.
This sounds a lot like my argument against Minecraft. Minecraft isn't much of a game either, really.

bobusdoleus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:21 pm »

To be honest, minecraft /isn't/ that much of a game, yeah. But minecraft /is/ a functional sandbox, as is The Sims 3. Sims Medieval is.....not. Especially compared to these other two. (Again, just pretend it isn't a sims game, and has a slightly different engine and whatnot like I said... And it becomes obvious that it doesn't actually let you do very much.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:02:30 pm by bobusdoleus »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:45 am »

I'm liking it so far. It's nice to create a character, neglect him for a few quests and them see they kind of led a life, made friends, enemies, and such. here is a lot of little detials to watch while your character is doing other things.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:31 am »

The Sims : Medieval could be improved with a fully free play option, but as it happens it's not too bad.

Considering how much I paid for it, I am reasonably happy with how it has been so far.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11