Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1135 times)

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »

1. How do you go about disarming enemies, without killing them? I wanted my dwarves to have some live practice on some goblins I caged, but I can't figure out how to disarm them.

2. How do you throw enemies/objects off of cliffs?

3. Is it possible to train non-canine war animals. I tamed a few cave crocodiles, but I can't train them into war-o-diles.

4. Can retracted drawbridges be destroyed by building destroyers?

5. Is there any way to absolutely prevent animals from getting through doors? (Including when dwarves open them and let the pets through.)

6. How the HELL do you get hospitals working? A bunch of my dwarves have broken bones, but I can't get a functioning hospital up.

7. Can you treat the injuries of pets in hospitals?

8. Is it possible to clean tiles that are outside your fortress? There is a huge lake of goblin blood outside my front gate, and my dwarves keep walking through it.

9. Can you shield your dwarves from the poison that Forgotten Beasts excrete?

10. What effect does having a dwarf name an item have upon the item?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:46:35 pm by Imminent »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »

1. I think if you catch them in a cage trap, you can build the cage and designate their items for dumping.

2. If you designate a dumping zone next to a cliff, they will throw it off, however, it will not disappear from the map (unless it falls into magma and is destroyed). Magma-safe materials will only be destroyed int his fashion by falling into the magma sea.

3. There are other animals which can be trained, but certainly not all of them. Here's a list. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Kennels

4.No, but if a bridge is lowered onto a sufficiently large creature, the bridge will break instead of atom smashing it.

5. Not that I'm aware of. even if it is made pet impassable, they can still go through when a dwarf opens it. The only way to fully prevent animals going through is to restrict use of that door all together.

6. Did you designate the zone as a hospital? Do you have a "chief medical dwarf" noble? Do you have the proper furniture in the room? You need beds for the patients to rest. You need containers as well to hold supplies (though, this is bugged right now). Having tables next to the beds will let operations be performed on them so less blood gets on the floor. Traction benches next to the beds allow your doctors to do work on bones. Having casts and splints is also important for bone work. You need soap to clean infections, but there are bugs related to soap currently, so you may get some cleaning errors to deal with. Thread is needed to sew up wounds.

7. Not yet.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »

2. If you designate a dumping zone next to a cliff, they will throw it off, however, it will not disappear from the map (unless it falls into magma and is destroyed). Magma-safe materials will only be destroyed int his fashion by falling into the magma sea.

What about throwing enemies off cliffs?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:08 pm »

1. (d)-(b)-(d), select the cage(s) you want to strip down. Then hit (k) and remove the dump order from the cage itself.
2. (i) for zone, pit it over an open space and press (p) to make it a pit/pond. Hit P to select creatures to throw into it. For items, make a garbage dump zone next to an open space, and designate the items for dumping.
3. Some animals can be trained for war besides dogs. However, some animals cannot be trained at all, and some require a Dungeon Master, who currently shows up very rarely if at all. I believe there is a third-party program that makes all animals trainable.
4. No.
5. There is no foolproof way, however I usually keep most of my animals caged, and anywhere I don't want animals going (such as my danger room) get at least 3 consecutive doors.
6. Hospitals are buggy right now, but there are a few things you can do to make it work.
  • Build containers, either bags or coffers, to contain hospital items within the hospital zone. You'll need quite a few (I use at least 25).
  • Make sure there is a nearby source of water, either a well or a cistern, to use for cleaning and watering dwarves.
  • Don't use gypsum powder casts; there is a bug causing the bone doctor to freeze up at the well making the cast for all time. Use splints instead.
  • Traction tables are also a bad idea, as are tables in general. Anything doctors can do on a table can be done with the dwarf in bed.
  • Keep your doctors nearby and not busy. Burrows help with this.
7. No. I believe Animal Care will be used for veterinary purposes in the future but for now if your animals get hurt, they're on their own.
8. Dwarves will ignore messes outside their fortress that aren't on constructed or smooth floors. Another third-party tool, dfcleanmap, is available as part of the DFHack toolkit. Check the modding section.
9. Not that I know of. Never had to deal with a FB using anything nastier than spittle.
10. The item will be listed among your artifacts in blue lettering, and the dwarf who named it will prefer to use it over anything else. Destroying the item will give that dwarf a bad thought. Nothing else.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:35:50 pm »

If they leave hazardous blood on the ground, then you can protect your dwarves by having them wear shoes. however, getting them to put on new clothes is another story entirely.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:41:08 am »

It depends on how the poison is applied, some forms are breath attacks that can be blocked with shields. Poisonous blood will be a problem if someone without shoes (children or pets normally) walks into it. Fb extract or ichor on armor and clothing can also be troublesome if it is washed of in an area where another dwarf will step into (wells and water sources normally). On the up side only dwarfs who aren't susceptible to disease will usually survive.
Oh if the forgotten beast just reads "beware its deadly poison" then it's just a bite poison and shouldn't really be much trouble.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »

I still can't get my hospital to work. I designated the hospital zone. I have nine beds with tables next to them. I have six traction benches also with tables next to them. I have 12 chests, but for some reason my dwarves keep putting adamantine strands into them. One or two chests do have splints in them, but thats about it. There are six dwarves with broken bones in comas on the beds, and I have two medical dwarves with only health care labors enabled. Except they are sitting idle in my meeting hall with 'no job'.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »

Medical staff in the current version like to be asses to the patients and go a long time without any sort of treatment.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:16:31 pm »

I've found that it helps to have your doctor(s) be the only dwarves who are allowed to recover wounded, with no other labors active. Recovery of wounded is a fairly high-priority task, and at least seems to kick people out of idling consistently, and after the wounded are dragged to the hospital the same dwarf will immediately set to the other medical tasks. It's only a problem if the wounded dwarf manages to get themselves to the hospital, in which case it can indeed take a long time for doctors to get to the business of diagnosing the damage.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »

11. Why doesn't reserved barrels work? I'm trying to get some for alcohol production, but my farm industry immedietely takes ALL of them.

12. Is it possible to make a dump accept only certain types of items? For instance, I want to atom smash a huge pile of refuse and clothes left from some slaughtered sieges, but I also have a quantum stockpile I use for stone. Can I make them take refuse to one but not the other?

13. I still can't figure out how to throw enemies off cliffs, or how to disarm them while they are in a cage.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:53 pm »

11. Why doesn't reserved barrels work? I'm trying to get some for alcohol production, but my farm industry immedietely takes ALL of them.
It work after the current batch of barrel reclaimation.

12. Is it possible to make a dump accept only certain types of items? For instance, I want to atom smash a huge pile of refuse and clothes left from some slaughtered sieges, but I also have a quantum stockpile I use for stone. Can I make them take refuse to one but not the other?
You can make complex quantum stockpile. In example:
#######
%%X==|v
###^###

when a person go into the room to put the item in the pile, it will trigger the floodgate which cause water to push said item to the right.water will then go through the bar and fall off, leaving the item all stacked on the right tile of the stockpile. The left tile is now free and you can put new stuff on it again...

13. I still can't figure out how to throw enemies off cliffs, or how to disarm them while they are in a cage.
assign pit zone over empty space and assign the enemy to it.
Disarming when in cage: mass dump the cage zone then select the cage and undesignate dump it.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:36:23 am »

As for reserved barrels, you can keep this from being an issue by making separate stockpiles for booze and food, and allowing no barrels in the food stockpiles. This way you always have barrels for booze.

Or you can do what I did and make 200 copper barrels.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:58:15 am »

14. Is there a way to disable a specific labor for all dwarves without having to manually go through each one?

15. There are some items I've marked to be dumped that are not being dumped. I made sure they are not forbidden but my dwarves just leave them there.

16. How do you store armor/shields?

17. How do you throw enemies off cliffs?

18. How do you trade captured animals without freeing them from their cages? When I tried to trade some elk birds I had captured, they were in my animal stockpile. I selected them to trade from the pets menu, and when my dwarves went over to them, they picked up the cage and freed the elk birds. When I selected the elk birds from the cages menu the exact same thing happened.

19. I assigned about half of my domestic pets to one cage, however it only filled up with about 11 animals which is nowhere near half of my pets. The wiki says cages can store an infinite amount of animals in one cage. Is that no longer the case?

20. How do you destroy an upward ramp from outside of a pit, so that the pit has no entrances, without making an access tunnel and then walling it off or via cave-ins(my dwarves always manage to die even when they are no where near the point of impact)?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:06:03 am »

14) search for Dwarf Therapist
15) read this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73250.0
16) designate an armor stockpile
17) designate a pit zone and order the caged enemy to be thrown in. won't work for thieves I heard.
18) offering caged pets is bugged
19) Perhaps some animals are still pending hauling. caging isn't very high priority.
20) Part 1 (you can't, not without using a 3rd party utility)
      Part 2 the cave in "dust" expands outwards pushing creatures and can force dwarves against walls, injuring them.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 01:13:09 am »

14. Is there a way to disable a specific labor for all dwarves without having to manually go through each one?
Dwarf Therapist, a utility, can do this. Ingame, no.

15. There are some items I've marked to be dumped that are not being dumped. I made sure they are not forbidden but my dwarves just leave them there.
Can your dwarves get to them? They won't dump items if they can't path to them.

Alternatively, and more likely, are they outdoors? By default, your (o)rders for dealing with (r)efuse are set so that dwarves ignore refuse (o)utdoors. Items marked for dumping are considered refuse, so if you press o-r-o, that setting will change and your dwarves will go deal with the outdoor refuse.

16. How do you store armor/shields?
In an armor stockpile.

17. How do you throw enemies off cliffs?
...Hasn't this been answered twice in this thread? Oh well.

Make a (i)zone over open space. Set it to be a (p)it/pond. Set (P)it/pond information, selecting the things you want thrown into the pit (or off the cliff, which is the same thing) using +-*/ and ENTER. Leave the pit/pond submenu and the zones menu. Dwarves with the Animal Hauling labor will come along and drag the selected creatures to the pit edge and toss it in.

18. How do you trade captured animals without freeing them from their cages? When I tried to trade some elk birds I had captured, they were in my animal stockpile. I selected them to trade from the pets menu, and when my dwarves went over to them, they picked up the cage and freed the elk birds. When I selected the elk birds from the cages menu the exact same thing happened.
You don't. This is unintended behavior, but is a bug that hasn't yet been fixed.

19. I assigned about half of my domestic pets to one cage, however it only filled up with about 11 animals which is nowhere near half of my pets. The wiki says cages can store an infinite amount of animals in one cage. Is that no longer the case?
It is still the case. There's 3 possibilities here. First, your dwarves haven't gotten around to the rest of the animals yet. Second, many of your animals are pets (owned by a dwarf), in which case they can't be caged. Third, and fairly unlikely, your dwarves can't path to the animals.

20. How do you destroy an upward ramp from outside of a pit, so that the pit has no entrances, without making an access tunnel and then walling it off or via cave-ins(my dwarves always manage to die even when they are no where near the point of impact)?
You don't. There was a utility that automatically removed ramps a while ago, but I don't think it's been updated for the last few versions and so almost certainly doesn't work anymore.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!
Pages: [1] 2